Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trade Coruba or ED5 for Smith & Cross?

Pages: 1 13 replies

Hey friends
I ordered 2 bottles of Smith & Cross on my last big rum purchase, and so help me I'm just not crazy about it.

But I go thru Coruba & El Dorado 5 like crazy, and I can't get those locally either, sadly, so...

Anyone wanna trade a sealed bottle of S&C for a sealed bottle of Coruba (liter preferably) or ED5? S&C is easily twice the price of either of those usually, so Merry Xmas early!!

Just pm me w/ yr address if interested & I'll shoot it out. Thanks rummies!

Before you give up on the Smith&Cross entirely make sure you try it in a Kingston Negroni. Mix it up like a trad Negroni but sub S&C for the gin and serve on ice rather than stirred/strained. Though I'm a big overall S&C fan I think it's a bottle worth having around just for this one drink.

Thanks S&R. I'll try that. I've got another bottle. But I knew someone on here would enjoy it more than me, and I need some Coruba so it's a win-win!

I'll second the Kingston Negroni.

A

On 2014-12-09 15:28, happy buddha wrote:
Smith & Cross... I'm just not crazy about it.

I agree - I'm not crazy about it either, it seems to dominate most drinks.

I have tried the Kingston Negroni tho, worth trying at least once.

Tried the Kingston Negroni tonight. Not a bad drink. I think I like the regular better, the Kingston seems to take from the Campari which is the strong flavor in the Negroni. Good and balanced drink though.

I like Smith & Cross. I think it goes well in Navy Grogs and I love it in a Painkiller. It is a strong rum, but in some circumstances I feel like more of a bite is appreciated.

Love Coruba too. I would assume that someone would take you up on this offer.

I gotta say after using Smith & Cross in many recipes, don't really care for it also
or at least prefer other rums, maybe it is the dryness & Scotch like after taste
I don't care for.

I love Smith & Cross, though I don't think it's appropriate for some tiki drinks, while in others I cut back on the amount. I think it really shines in one rum/daquiri-like recipes.

I would agree w/ that.

I should probably say that I did make this trade, shortly after I posted. And your rum is on the way! I don't want to bash Smith & Cross, it does have a really nice flavor. As others have pointed out, to me it just stands out too much in many tiki recipes.

What do you guys that don't like Smith & Cross think of the Lost Spirits Navy style rums? I find them similar.

On 2014-12-17 10:55, lunavideogames wrote:
What do you guys that don't like Smith & Cross think of the Lost Spirits Navy style rums? I find them similar.

I agree, a very similar taste profile.

On 2014-12-17 14:59, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

I think with a more refined palette you can discern the differences. Clearly they aren't the same drink. You'll get there eventually, sir!

[ Edited by: rockydog101 2015-01-07 11:36 ]

On 2015-01-07 11:33, rockydog101 wrote:

On 2014-12-17 14:59, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

I think with a more refined palette you can discern the differences. Clearly they aren't the same drink. You'll get there eventually, sir!

[ Edited by: rockydog101 2015-01-07 11:36 ]

Well judging from your first post here on TC, made just a few months ago

On 2014-08-20 06:27, rockydog101 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to buff up my rum collection and make a few decent tiki drinks. I'm having a hell of a time understanding rums (dark, light, etc), and I also have a relatively poor selection in my area.

I have the following rums:
Captain
Pusser's
Gosling Black Seal
Malibu
Captain White
Appleton V/X
Flor de Cana

Misc:
Cointreau
Orange curaçao
Blue curaçao
Grenadine
Coconut cream
Orgeat

I really want to make a dang mai tai. Would any combo of the above rums be good? I read Gosling and the Appleton V/X may be nice. But I don't understand the selection. The Appleton looks dark, but it's light? What makes it light and dark? What are some good tiki rums that are accessible to is who live in the backwoods of the south? :)

Thank you all

You clearly have gone from knowing nothing about Tiki cocktails (especially the history behind the origins of said cocktails)
to showing an unearned arrogance towards many here who have spent years accumulating that knowledge, all this in just a few short months, interesting....

On 2015-01-07 12:10, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

You clearly have gone from knowing nothing about Tiki cocktails (especially the history behind the origins of said cocktails)
to showing an unearned arrogance towards many here who have spent years accumulating that knowledge, all this in just a few short months, interesting....

I sincerely apologize for commenting on the fact you found two different rums flavors so similar. If I offended, I apologize!

Pages: 1 13 replies