Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki Mug Kickstarter

Pages: 1 18 replies

There is a kickstarter to fund a custom mug for The Shrunken Head in Jefferson City, MO
The designer is a friend of mine and I've seen the sample mug and it looks great. Please help out the cause and get yourself one of these great mugs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1855451347/shrunken-head-tropic-lounge-rivermaid-tiki-mug

Wow, over $6K in the first 48 hours! Thanks to everyone who pledged, let's keep it up. This will be your only chance to buy this mug online, after they will only be available at the bar.

We could use a little more help to reach this goal. There will also be quite a few extras thrown in if the whole project funds. Please share even if you can't afford to purchase anything. There is original art and fezzes as well. Thanks everyone!

There's also a really cool option for any road trip tiki fans as well.

79% funded with just over a week to go. Thanks to everyone who has backed this project and please continue to share and promote this with all your tikiphile friends.

I actually just logged in to post this! The mug looks amazing, the art is beautiful and a fez from fez o rama! How cool is that?! Come on folks, only a little while left to support small local bars and get your hands on some awesome. Literally.

I completely forgot to add, look at how cool that swizzle stick is!

R

Has anyone purchased anything through Kick-starter before? I want to get one of these mugs but they make you sign up and give them access to all your content.
Seems a little invasive. I'd much rather use PayPal or something and not have to give them the access.I realize how it works..The project needs to get funded first before it actually happens but geez.

I am not saying these guys are not legit, but the whole kickstarter thing
leaves a bad taste in my mouth for various reasons, especially for increasing fraud
and the high percentages of failed projects that after getting funded
the people responsible for the kickstarter project, fail to get their shit together
and follow thru with a funded project.

The odds are better in Vegas or the stock market
and that it smells of basically kids asking for free money to fund vanity projects
(I mean in general & not attacking this mug project)
that no right minded adult would agree too, in the first place.

But that's just my two cents.

On 2015-01-08 13:20, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
and that it smells of basically kids asking for free money to fund vanity projects

Are you saying that you think the odds are better in Vegas than they are to participate in a Kickstarter project and get the item you paid for?

I've participated in two and got both of my items. I have read about many failed projects though, some taking the money and running, and others producing a terrible product. Even me, with not putting DtB on a pedestal, is supporting this project financially.

Hey all, Darick here. The man behind the Rivermaid KS project.
I've gone out of my way to be as transparent as possible with this project. I've put my reputation on the line with this and to gain some credibility I've teamed up with some well know folks in the tiki world. Tiki Farm and Fez-o-Rama.
This project has been a labor of love and it's come together with the help and hard work of a lot of people. I'm hoping this is the first project of many to bring quality custom mugs to small tiki bars all over the country.
I invite you all to check out the project and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly. I'll do my best to address any concerns you may have.

Mahalo!

TheRivermaid, I want to reiterate that my remarks about kickstarter
are not aimed at you, just Kickstarter in general.

Atomic Tiki Punk,
No worries, I didn't think you were targeting my campaign necessarily, I've been burned enough times by KickStarters to know what you mean. It baffles me that anyone could run a KS, put thier name in the line, and not follow through.

T

Is there a plan to have a signature drink served in this mug at the location in Jeff City? I really must visit as it's so close to me.

On 2015-01-08 13:20, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I am not saying these guys are not legit, but the whole kickstarter thing
leaves a bad taste in my mouth for various reasons, especially for increasing fraud
and the high percentages of failed projects that after getting funded
the people responsible for the kickstarter project, fail to get their shit together
and follow thru with a funded project.

Has there been a surge in them? The big problem with kickstarters is that the company has policy that states the project owner has to provide the items to the donors but if that person goes "Nope!" there is zero recourse.

Though it does get worse, gofundme has various donor requests for things like getting a tattoo, sending someone on vacation, etc.

4 Days to go and only $1000 shy of the stretch goal to get those awesome custom swizzles. Lets make it happen and everyone wins! Don't forget about the add-ons and the new Pin-up fez design.
Thanks again for everyone's support!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1855451347/shrunken-head-tropic-lounge-rivermaid-tiki-mug

[ Edited by: TikiNomad1 2015-01-11 13:14 ]

Stretch goal has been met! And for one final surprise as this project winds to a close. Artist Proof mugs now available as an add-on for backers! Limited edition of only 50 so act fast if you don't want to be left out!

I wanted to get on here and thank everyone for their support, 7 hours to go on this thing and I am blown away by the amount of love it has gotten. A few bars have already contacted me for advice on how to do this for themselves, and I have plans simmering to host another once this KickStarter is securely fulfilled. I hope this leads to more tiny tiki bars crowd-sourcing their mugs. Crowd-sourcing gets a mug that otherwise wouldn't exist in the hands of collectors and enthusiasts who want them as well as creating a stock of affordable mugs for the bar itself to help keep the doors open.

The continued love for this project has allowed me to create an alternate, limited edition mug, 2 companion fezzes, and free swizzles for everyone. Its been a lot of fun and I actually look forward to getting everything fulfilled and in everyone's hands!

Thanks again,
Darick Maasen

R

Darick,
Please contact me. I left a message for you.

Pages: 1 18 replies