Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Fruitlab Orange Liqueur?

Pages: 1 3 replies

I saw a bottle of this stuff while on a rum run. It was the ingredients label that really caught my eye: "molasses spirits" (Am I missing something? Is there some reason they couldn't call it "rum"?), sweet, sour, and bitter orange, and cane sugar. A rum based liqueur with an overload of orange in it SOUNDS like just what the doctor ordered, but at $40 a bottle, and with a bottle of Lost Spirits Polynesian calling my name, I decided not to gamble on it.

Can anyone tell me more about this liqueur? What drinks/ingredients does it play well in/with? Is it worth a buy, or should I stick to creole shrub and dry curacao?

J

I have no knowledge of that product, but to answer your other question ... per Ed Hamilton's Ministry of Rum website: "In the US, rum is defined as a spirit distilled from the fermented juice of sugar cane, sugar cane syrup, sugar cane molasses or other sugar cane byproducts at less than 95% abv and bottled at at least 40% alcohol by volume." The bottle you posted is only 20% abv. So that's why it's not called rum.

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2014-12-23 13:34 ]

I don't drink anything that has the word "lab" in it.

R

The FruitLab line of liqueurs are line from Greenbar Distillery which is located in downtown Los Angeles. Their products are made from organically raised produce. In addition to their liqueurs, they do make two kinds of rum, vodka, tequila, whiskey and a line of bitters. I have not had all of their products yet, but everything I've had is very good. I'm also happy to support a local/US made product made by a small company. I also had a chance to visit the distillery for an event a year or so ago and it's a nice little operation that is run by people who care about what they are doing.

Give them a try!

http://www.greenbar.biz/

Pages: 1 3 replies