Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: How to make your own Homemade Blue Curaçao

Pages: 1 18 replies

I found this on Liquor.com, I may try this with white rum instead of the gin & vodka
anyone else up to making it?

Homemade Blue Curaçao

This is from "The Kirkland Tap & Trotter" in Somerville, Massachusetts.
Ingredients in the Homemade Blue Curaçao

1 liter Vodka
1 liter Barr Hill gin
Zest of 12 navel oranges
4 tablespoons Dried bitter orange peel
32 Cloves
8 cups Sugar
6 cups Water
Blue food coloring

How to make the Homemade Blue Curaçao

Combine vodka, gin, orange zest, and dried bitter orange peel. Let that sit for 20 days.

On day 20, add 32 cloves and let sit one additional day. Strain out the liquid through a coffee filter.
Once strained, add 8 cups sugar and 6 cups water. Stir until dissolved.
Add blue food coloring a few drops at a time until desired color is reached.

And once you have made some, here is a cocktail to make out of it.

A recipe for the "Ocean Mist Cocktail"

Ingredients in the Ocean Mist Cocktail

2 oz Milagro Silver tequila
.75 oz Rothman & Winter Apricot Brandy
.75 oz Fresh lemon juice
1 Egg white
Pinch Maldon sea salt
.5 oz Blue curaçao

Garnish: Swath of orange peel

Glass: Coupe
How to make the Ocean Mist Cocktail

Dry shake all ingredients together. Add ice and shake vigorously to chill.
Add the blue curaçao to a coupe glass. Strain the cocktail over the blue curacao and garnish with a large orange swath.

Read more at http://liquor.com/recipes/housemade-blue-curacao/#iQEBHSMuDwvD0kV5.97
http://liquor.com/recipes/ocean-mist/#7mdywBA0vVVObRcP.99

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-12-29 14:26 ]

J

In what form is the "Dried Bitter Orange Peel"? Powdered? Is this something I can find in a store, or do I need to dry my own?

J

Upon further research, it appears Bitter Orange Peel is a common brewers ingredient and can be purchased online. I might actually give this a try ... in a much smaller batch than the recipe calls for, and yes, with a basic white rum, rather than vodka and/or gin.

On 2014-12-30 08:13, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
You can find dried bitter orange peel online
for example: http://www.wholespice.com/display.asp?id=2130
http://www.amazon.com/Brewers-Garden-Dried-Bitter-Orange/dp/B001F5FXV0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419955791&sr=8-2&keywords=dried+bitter+orange+peel

Or make it yourself: http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/how-to-cook/cooking-tips/make-your-own-dried-orange-peel.php

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-12-30 08:15 ]

What's the point? You can just buy blue curacao in the store. And this certainly isn't CURACAO made with STORE BOUGHT NAVEL ORANGES! Why drag the name of this beverage through the mud by making some odd concoction of your own for home? And I sure wouldn't drink anything with blue food coloring in it. And you sure as heck shouldn't be calling this a curacao! A better name would be "blue dyed orange vodka mix."

Confucious had something to say about half assing things...

[ Edited by: rockydog101 2015-01-07 11:39 ]

Making something from scratch and with the best ingredients attainable
is not a "half assed thing", but since you're always looking for a shortcut
I don't think you understand the concept.

On 2015-01-07 12:19, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Making something from scratch and with the best ingredients attainable
is not a "half assed thing", but since you're always looking for a shortcut
I don't think you understand the concept.

I just don't see the point in making a "curacao" with store bought navel oranges. I'm sure you know what makes a curacao a curacao, so it's just really, really strange and incorrect. I would be interested in trying your blue dyed orange flavored vodka, the drinks you made look very good. Is there a special fluorescent blue food coloring used to get it that beautiful color?

[ Edited by: rockydog101 2015-01-07 12:36 ]

S

On 2015-01-07 11:31, rockydog101 wrote:

And I sure wouldn't drink anything with blue food coloring in it.

And yet......

On 2014-08-20 06:27, rockydog101 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to buff up my rum collection and make a few decent tiki drinks. I'm having a hell of a time understanding rums (dark, light, etc), and I also have a relatively poor selection in my area.

I have the following rums:
Captain
Pusser's
Gosling Black Seal
Malibu
Captain White
Appleton V/X
Flor de Cana

Misc:
Cointreau
Orange curaçao
Blue curaçao
Grenadine
Coconut cream
Orgeat

I really want to make a dang mai tai. Would any combo of the above rums be good? I read Gosling and the Appleton V/X may be nice. But I don't understand the selection. The Appleton looks dark, but it's light? What makes it light and dark? What are some good tiki rums that are accessible to is who live in the backwoods of the south? :)

Thank you all

.....look at what one of the ingredients is that you have. How the hell do you think they made that blue? And is your orange curacao actually orange? Guess what? It's not the store bought naval oranges that made it that colour.

Blue food coloring has a decent flavor but it pales in comparison to purple food coloring.

Try this recipe:

1 oz Demerara rum
1 oz Jamaican rum
2 oz purple food coloring
3/4 oz lime juice

Amazing!

On 2015-01-08 00:03, swizzle wrote:
.....look at what one of the ingredients is that you have. How the hell do you think they made that blue? And is your orange curacao actually orange? Guess what? It's not the store bought naval oranges that made it that colour.

Yup, I agree. And I tossed those in the trash as soon as I acquired decent stuff! I had a ton of shitty liquors that I brought to work and gave away.

[ Edited by: rockydog101 2015-01-08 05:32 ]

On 2015-01-08 00:13, lunavideogames wrote:
Blue food coloring has a decent flavor but it pales in comparison to purple food coloring.

Try this recipe:

1 oz Demerara rum
1 oz Jamaican rum
2 oz purple food coloring
3/4 oz lime juice

Amazing!

I'm calling that drink the Atomic Tiki Purple!! Don't forget to garnish with a slice of Bologna, piece of cheese, and a tampon! (Kidding, man!)

[ Edited by: rockydog101 2015-01-08 05:30 ]

Just amazing the ignorance displayed from rockydog101!
I am not going to indulge his childish behavior by addressing him directly.

But for those interested and while I don't endorse or advocate the coloring of food
the simple fact is just about everything is colored with some sort of dye or chemical
The hamburger you had for lunch, the Rum, Whiskey and pretty much any non clear liqueur
syrup, mix & juice, even the fresh fruit & vegetables you buy at most markets
are colored or treated with something to make them look better.

The orange, grapefruit, cranberry & apple juices you buy at the store
(yes the ones that are marked "Fresh" squeezed on the carton) are actually clear
after processing, dye & flavor packs are added to make them look and taste like real fresh made juices
with the exception that if you actually made any of these at home. they don't look like that i.e.
rich orange color etc.

So to single out one thing & go off indignantly about it while being so obtuse to the facts
is indeed the very meaning of ignorant.

Well, I'm primarily shocked you're calling your concoction a curacao :) I didn't know that orange juice was originally blue. Thank you.

J

... And I sure wouldn't drink anything with blue food coloring in it. And you sure as heck shouldn't be calling this a curacao! ...

"The Genuine Curaçao Liqueur" which is the original and only company using the ingredient that makes it a real Curacao, has several colors of Curacao, including BLUE. Guess how they get that color! Now do you want to tell us that the original and only genuine Curacao maker is NOT making real Curacao because they add blue coloring to it?

http://www.curacaoliqueur.com/brand

Wanna know how much of the rum in your collection has caramel added to it to give it a consistent (and aesthetically pleasing) color? No, you probably don't want to know, because then you'd have to throw it all out because of your anti-artificial color standards.

On 2015-01-08 09:38, JenTiki wrote:

... And I sure wouldn't drink anything with blue food coloring in it. And you sure as heck shouldn't be calling this a curacao! ...

"The Genuine Curaçao Liqueur" which is the original and only company using the ingredient that makes it a real Curacao, has several colors of Curacao, including BLUE. Guess how they get that color! Now do you want to tell us that the original and only genuine Curacao maker is NOT making real Curacao because they add blue coloring to it?

http://www.curacaoliqueur.com/brand

Wanna know how much of the rum in your collection has caramel added to it to give it a consistent (and aesthetically pleasing) color? No, you probably don't want to know, because then you'd have to throw it all out because of your anti-artificial color standards.

Jen, I expected you to be sharper than this. I'm shocked at his calling this a curaçao because he's using store bought navel oranges. The last time I checked curaçao was made from dried peel of the laraha citrus fruit. If you need more info on this, use the "search" tool. The correct name for his drink would be an orange liqueur. In no way should it have the name curaçao.

J

Then you clearly missed my point (not the first time that's happened). I was only commenting on your statement about not wanting to drink anything with blue food coloring added. I had already moved past the discussion of your opinion of the recipe for blue curacao, which you can choose to use or not, without insulting the person who posted it in an effort to share knowledge with the Tiki Central community. Why must everything be a battle with you?

[ Edited by: jentiki 2015-01-09 09:42 ]

On 2015-01-08 11:57, JenTiki wrote:
Then you clearly missed my point (not the first time). I was only commenting on your statement about not wanting to drink anything with blue food coloring added. I had already moved past the discussion of your opinion of the recipe for blue curacao, which you can choose to use or not, without insulting the person who posted it in an effort to share knowledge with the Tiki Central community. Why must everything be a battle with you?

No, you are incorrect. You interpreted my saying its "not curaçao" because of the blue food coloring when it was because of the citrus fruit used to produce it.

J

Well then, I guess I simply quoted more of your drivel than necessary. This is the sentence to which I was referring:

... And I sure wouldn't drink anything with blue food coloring in it.

So then, would you not drink Blue Curacao created with the traditional ingredients (including your cherished "laraha citrus fruit"), by the original creators of Blue Curacao, simply because it has blue coloring added to it? Why let your anti-food coloring standards get in the way of a good time?!

Take a chill pill, or drink a few more zombies, and stop fighting everything. Tiki Central is supposed to be fun, but clearly you're just out to make a fight out of everything anybody posts with which you may not agree. Part of the spirit of Tiki Central is allowing people to have their own opinions, that will often differ from yours. Most of us try to be respectful of that, but you seem bent on insulting anything you don't like, although just a few short months ago you informed us this was all new to you. Sit back and learn something then, rather than arguing everything!

On 2014-12-29 14:23, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I found this on Liquor.com, I may try this with white rum instead of the gin & vodka
anyone else up to making it?

Homemade Blue Curaçao

This is from "The Kirkland Tap & Trotter" in Somerville, Massachusetts.

Read more at http://liquor.com/recipes/housemade-blue-curacao/#iQEBHSMuDwvD0kV5.97
http://liquor.com/recipes/ocean-mist/#7mdywBA0vVVObRcP.99

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-12-29 14:26 ]

This is clearly not my recipe, which you would know if you bothered reading any posts that you're so quick to reply to
without any thought whatsoever.

Now you are so presumptuous as for "you" to tell Jentiki what it is she is thinking?
And after attacking her a couple of weeks back, just for trying to be helpful to you!

What the hell is wrong with you? find another site full of arrogant, like minded, hipsters to troll.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-01-08 12:45 ]

Pages: 1 18 replies