Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Need Help Identifying Christmas Present!

Pages: 1 7 replies

M

Aloha!

I just received my late Christmas present (see pix below). Was told it came out of the Kon-Tiki Ports Sheraton Cincinnati-Gibson Hotel and only 40 were made. Hand carved and heavy as all get out - red light bulb in back lights up small open space above each eye. Any help in identifying the maker, etc., would be greatly appreciated! This WILL be going up in my home tiki bar!

Mahalo for any feedback!

mr_melvis

These are Asian & not Tiki I believe (Comedy & Drama masks?), someone else posted some photos of these same masks
a while back.

I agree wid ATP. I think they are just what he says and I also think that they are very nicely made.
I would use em in my tiki bar/room- I have layers and layers of "stuff" on my walls and ceilings
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-01-05 15:05 ]

H

This photo of girl with carving is from a 1972 magazine. I also found one of these mask with "1967 MEXICO" on the backside.

H

I have seen a lot of these, I would guess they made at least "forty" of them

T

Kahiki had this kind of mask as well.
If you take some of the stuff out of the Kahiki one by one they are not really tiki on their
own but in the Kahiki with all the other stuff it works.

If you like them and they work in your space that's what counts.

Was told that people who got the décor for the Kahiki at the start went to Mexico for some stuff
so this is why some Kahiki décor looks Mexican.

Here they are in the Tropical Bistro who got them from the Kahiki.

Mexican looking tiki from Kahiki.

¤(¯*•.(¯*•..TIKISKIP..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

T

"and only 40 were made. Hand carved and heavy as all get out"

Would guess that more than 40 were made.
More like 40 a day for years.

H

AtomicMoe who joined Dec 9, 2014 posted in Tiki Marketplace "Kon-Tiki Cincinnati Sheraton Mask with Light For Sale.
Doesn't look like he'll be hanging his up in a Tiki room as he sold it the same day. It looks a lot like the one Mr M got earlier in this thread. They really did must have made a lot of them back in the day.

AtomicMoe photos of his Tiki carving

Pages: 1 7 replies