Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

First impression if you saw this tattoo?

Pages: 1 22 replies

CJ

Hi all,

I've been keen to get a tiki-related tattoo for a while now and love this -

http://slodive.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/tiki-tattoo/tiki-sleeve-tattoo.jpg

I'd like to get something similar on my bicep. The tattoo above depicts Ku, who (as we all know) is god of war and is assocated with, among other things, human sacrifice. In my eyes, I'd like to use Ku in a tattoo to represent strength but I wonder - if you met someone with a tatto depicting Ku, what would your first impression be? That they're violent and aggressive or something else?

Thanks!

If I saw anyone with a tiki tatoo I'd give them a high-five. But that's just me.

Someone from the islands might feel different I guess, but aggression is about the last thing I think of when I see a tiki.

Tattoos are a direct doorway for satan to access your soul.

Buzzy Out!

If you're worried about how people will perceive you with that tattoo, you're not ready to have a tattoo.

S

He looks kinda happy to me. Or is that because he just sacrificed a human?

H

Google images for "Marquesan Tiki" before settling on a Ku.

My first thought would be City of Refuge.

CJ

Haha some funny responses here but what do you feel Ku represents?

While the illustration looks very original - because it is based on one -, the tattoo DOES look like he's smiling. I think images change when they are applied to a 3D surface and become more organic, and in this case it is dis-advantageous.

There are other Kus that might work better. An ancient Tiki should look scowling, dangerous or brooding - smiley Tikis are reserved for Tiki pop.

CJ

On 2015-01-08 08:26, bigbrotiki wrote:
While the illustration looks very original - because it is based on one -, the tattoo DOES look like he's smiling. I think images change when they are applied to a 3D surface and become more organic, and in this case it is dis-advantageous.

There are other Kus that might work better. An ancient Tiki should look scowling, dangerous or brooding - smiley Tikis are reserved for Tiki pop.

I think that if the angle of his eyes was adjusted he would be scowling rather than smirking.

After that tattoo you need to get this.....

I have to agree with 4WD Tiki, if you're worried about what anyone thinks of your tattoo, you might want to make sure you really want it. I got my first one at 41.

Here's my KU: Smile or Frown, you decide!

Is he as good as Ben Bamboo?

Couldn't this thread just been continued in your other thread about your tattoo? http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=48595&forum=1&11

Anyway, I agree with the others, if you are that concerned about what other people think about your tattoo, then you may not be ready for one. It's not for everyone and that's okay.

CJ

I think the point being made that 'if you're bothered about what people think, perhaps you're not ready' is a very valid one and clearly I need to give it some more thought.

One final question - do you feel the tattoo I linked is an accurate depiction of Ku? There is a surprising lack of images of him on Google.

On 2015-01-08 17:34, Cole Jr wrote:
I think the point being made that 'if you're bothered about what people think, perhaps you're not ready' is a very valid one and clearly I need to give it some more thought.

One final question - do you feel the tattoo I linked is an accurate depiction of Ku? There is a surprising lack of images of him on Google.

Seriously? did you type the words Hawaiian, Ku, Tiki in your search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hawaiian+Ku&biw=1920&bih=956&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=XDivVOeqGYHpgwSWs4DgBg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=hawaiian+Ku+tiki

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-01-08 18:13 ]

KUs

Buzzy Out!

Famous make up and pin up model Red Dodge got this tattoo a while back.....It's my Facebook name. Eat your hearts out ATP and Grog!
Maybe Grog or ATP will get a Rev Bamboo Ben tattoo tramp stamp too!

BEN!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: & a :drink:

T

I think rock and Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo would be a cooler tattoo.

CJ

I noticed Ku was described as the god of strength in a number of places; has he been given his title in recent times to make him more commercially viable, i.e. market him as the god of strength, rather than war, to tourists?

No.

On 2015-01-08 17:34, Cole Jr wrote:

It's as accurate a depiction as you can get, of an imaginary being. Every carving and drawing of Ku is an interpretation of what the artist thinks he looks like, and they vary broadly. Take your pic.
I'm curious why you want a tiki tattoo that is so perfectly "correct", when you don't seem to have any knowledge or interest in tikis beyond finding the perfect Ku? Or do you?

Pages: 1 22 replies