Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

NorCal Tiki Bands and Artists

Pages: 1 14 replies

**Aloha,

So we're currently in the "DREAM PHASE" of creating a Northern California Tiki event with the desire to focus on and support NorCal Tiki Bands and Artists.
I've created my own list of names and bands but I would like to hear from the Tiki Ohana which NorCal Tiki Bands and Artists can you name and more importantly would like to see? **

technically a surf band, but very laid back and tiki in my mind is The Aqua Velvets.

Jeff(btd)

We are about to stop attending any tiki events because the music is played so loud it hurts. I'm already deaf and have hearing aids. I don't want more damage. We pay for and then can't enjoy the entertainment. My audiologist said a whole generation of deaf people are forming quickly and it's really sad.

How about some real Hawaiian music, acoustic. Wendy

How about The Smoking Menehunes? They play it just right. Wendy

J

One of my least favorite things about some tiki events is the surf music, which I don't really consider tiki and is usually much too loud. Give me some exotica and swanky lounge music any day! Project:Pimento is one of my favorites!

Alika Lyman Group fits the bill!! Soothing sounds for the sophisticated savage!! :)

Actually there is this great Tiki DJ that works at most of the big Tiki events
and knows how to set a tone & mood, his name is bigtikidude!

How about having visual artists (live painting to music, or showing our artwork at your event)?

I would be up for that... =)

Sandra Fremgen

T

How about the Potato Bug - Peter Royce Bentley.
He's kinda rowdy though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX-ZgOk6HsI

Or Lawrence Welk.
He's low key and quiet.
The Lawrence Welk Show: Hawaii Closing Segment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smqpbcUfz9A

On 2015-01-13 11:07, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Actually there is this great Tiki DJ that works at most of the big Tiki events
and knows how to set a tone & mood, his name is bigtikidude!

Thanks ATP, but this is for Nor Cal
and I think Otto and a few others have the DJ duties up there covered.

Jeff(btd)

J

As for non-musical artists in NorCal that are tiki-appropriate ... Notch, Tiki Kaimuki, MP, Wendy, Tiki King, and Woody (Kahaka) all come to mind.

TimberCoveTiki is from NorCal

TimberCoveTiki.com

The thing is, there is way more surf bands, than tiki bands.
and most tiki bands want a good chunck of change to play.
surf bands are willing to negotiate.

wanna sell some mugs for cheap?
I thought not.

Jeff(btd)

On 2015-01-12 15:34, bigtikidude wrote:
technically a surf band, but very laid back and tiki in my mind is The Aqua Velvets.

Jeff(btd)

The Mermen are another great SF surf band if rather unconventional. Not as tiki as the Aqua Velvets but they would probably still be great to have at tiki events.

The Mermen have a mellow offshoot band, the Shitones.

Pages: 1 14 replies