Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Going to Maui. Any suggestions?

Pages: 1 14 replies

I am going to Maui. I have never been, so I don't know where to stay. I don't like to do the touristy stuff, but I do like action and nightlife. I would like to be in a lively popular area.

I would like to know what the best place to rent a vacation rental. We will rent a car and drive. I am planning on visiting Beachbumz and 4WDtiki already. I wouldn't mind some bar suggestions. Tiki or dive or good drinks in general.

Thanks for the help!

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2015-04-15 12:02 ]

You'll need a boat or plane to visit me, I'm a couple islands west of Maui! :wink:
I've never been to Maui, so all I can say is to visit Beachbumz but you already got that on the list!

I'm not a Maui person, but most of the nightlife will be in the Lahaina/Ka'anapali area.

For vacation rentals / condos, VRBO is a good place to start.

Wow Treg, good for you, Mama's Fish House in Paia town has awesome grinds. The decor inside is Hawaiian/nautical. The site is spectacular and there"s tiki to be seen on the property if you can take your eyes off the surroundings. The drinks are okay but who cares- you're at Mama's Also spectacular is the road to Hana. Hana town is old school Hawaii and really away from the crowd. The road starts at Paia and it is only 60 miles west to Hana. Because the road is winding and narrow and the numerous bridges are one-way, it takes about 3 hours to get to Hana. Don't try the round trip after 1 pm or you will be driving back in the dark. Lunch is a better deal at Mamas but go easy on the drinks if you decide to visit Hana. You gotta come back the same way so the bar at Mamas is very inviting. Back in the day it was quicker to get to Hana via boat from the big island than to motor from Paia. It's sorta like taking hi-way One through Big Sur Beautiful but a lonnnnnng drive.
Kaanapali on the other side of Lahaina has a lot to offer including awesome snorkeling among the reefs. Google Maui and you"ll get plenny ideas.
Have fun,
David

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-01-17 10:20 ]

On 2015-01-15 20:07, bamalamalu wrote:
I'm not a Maui person, but most of the nightlife will be in the Lahaina/Ka'anapali area.

For vacation rentals / condos, VRBO is a good place to start.

It has been too many years since I have been there, but Bama is right.

On 2015-01-15 19:51, 4WDtiki wrote:
You'll need a boat or plane to visit me, I'm a couple islands west of Maui! :wink:
I've never been to Maui, so all I can say is to visit Beachbumz but you already got that on the list!

Oops, sorry. I am an idiot. I guess it was just wishful thinking. I will have to talk to you soon. My garage needs a new tiki.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Really helpful information!

When I was planning my Hawai'i/O'ahu trip in 2013 I combed the threads on TC to find things to do.
There wasn't much about Mau'i, and even though I wasn't headed there I wrote some down.
Momma's, as already mentioned.
Seven Sacred Pools, at Ohe'u
Pi'ilanihale Heiau
See if there's a show at Mau'i Cultural Center

Have fun!

I was in Hawaii the same time as Pauly (we met on Oahu) and I concur with other opinions. Mama's Fish House is not to be missed. I wasn't thrilled with the Road to Hana. it made me carsick and I had to drive, then I was fine. We went past the half way point and that was enough for us! After an hour you know what you're going to get...

My Maui highlights besides Mama's was meeting Scott & Rob and buying mugs from them! If you ask Scott in advance he can make you something just for you. He made me a tiki holding a shaved ice! And I got a mug from Rob too! IT was a blast meeting them both and enjoying pizza and mai tai's near the Beachbumz shop at the Tiki Lounge. Also, I saw with a sea turtle while snorkeling at Makena Bay (Turtle Beach) which was AMAZING!

Have a fantastic time!

Howzit Treg! I stumbled upon this thread this morning somehow on my way to see what Wendy has been up to.. :wink:
Awesome news about your trip brah! Love to meet ya if you make it Kihei.. I have a small shop in a marketplace here at the Kihei Kalama Village.. Were up front behind the shave ice stand, and just 50' from the new Fish market that just opened up, hope you can make it out.. :wink:

Check out MauiTiki's site MauiTikiTours.com, needs to be updated but there a few things on there that should helpful..

Shoot me a PM or email me if you have any questions about things here, maybe I can hlp out..

Aloha!

*Mamma's Fish House is a Must!!! Make sure you make a reservation for sunset. Be prepared Mama's is a 5 star restaurant $$$$$ Make sure to order a Black Pearl for Desssert.

[ Edited by: woohoowahine 2015-01-25 15:08 ]

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2015-01-25 15:09 ]

On 2015-01-25 14:59, WooHooWahine wrote:
*Mamma's Fish House is a Must!!! Make sure you make a reservation for sunset. Be prepared Mama's is a 5 star restaurant $$$$$ Make sure to order a Black Pearl for Desssert.

I should have mentioned Hulagrill. We had a great time there. Good grindz-good drinks, great people watching ,sunset is awesome. They are part of the “Duke’s empire as is “Kimo’s. I have never been disappointed at any of their establishments including the Duke’s in SoCal
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-01-25 18:19 ]

Thanks for your help everyone! I will keep you posted and let everyone know how my trip goes. Going to Waikiki and Maui. If anyone is going to be around and wants to grab a Mai Tai, send me a message.

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2015-02-24 11:22 ]

Betta start packing Treg!
Have fun!
David and CeCe

Don't forget to have a drink or two...
:)

Pages: 1 14 replies