Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Don Q 151 is back

Pages: 1 7 replies

Destileria Serralles is bringing back their Don Q 151 rum, apparently discontinued around 2009 or '10. The Rum Collective has organized a couple of Washington "DonQ 151: A Premiere Tasting and Launch Party" events, on Sat., Jan. 17 (Tacoma), and on Sun., Jan. 18 (Bellevue).
A long way for me, but if someone in the area makes it to one of these tastings, be sure to come back and give us your tasting notes.
Swanky blogged about a vintage bottle of Don Q 151 he got for Christmas, back in 2010. Once he gets a hold of a bottle of the new DonQ 151, I hope he can give us a comparison/review - even if only from memory (don't know if he still has any of the vintage left).

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2015-01-16 09:37 ]

A

I've never had it, and I'd be very interested to know how it compares to Barcardi 151 and Cruzan 151

S

I have most of the bottle left!

I was thinking this rum has been around a while, but, I guess I only really look for Lemon Hart 151.

I'd spose the DonQ 151 is closer to the Bacardi 151 than the Lemon Hart? Any redeeming qualities other than ease of combustion?

For what it's worth: The Mai-Kai still uses Bacardi 151 in the Kona Coffee Grog, mainly to achieve the impressive flame. But they're switching all other drinks, along with flaming desserts, to Hamilton Demerara Overproof 151.

RG

I never encourage anyone to flame Hamilton Demerara Overproof Rum. There are less expensive overproof rums to light on fire.

On 2015-01-25 11:08, Rum guy wrote:
I never encourage anyone to flame Hamilton Demerara Overproof Rum. There are less expensive overproof rums to light on fire.

I concur. If the rum in question is going to be fuel, I use nice cheap Potter's. The Lost Spirits 151, El Dorado Overproof, and Hamilton are strictly for drinking.

I've always loved capping off a night at the Mai Kai with the flaming Coffee Grog! The table side service is always impressive (and it tastes great)

Pages: 1 7 replies