City:Modesto
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Medium size well worn dive. Small outdoor seating out front. Park in rear lot

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-01-21 20:46 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-01-21 20:47 ]

Tiki lounge has a nice barkeep and that’s the best I can say about this place. No food, no crafted drinks, even the rum and coke my wife had was terrible. No beer on tap- I had a Heineken. Building is an interesting true A-frame but I would rate the interior tiki factor as “light”. Too bad cuz the recently deceased owner had a real passion for tiki according to the barkeep. Barkeep also said that the son wants to redo the place with more emphasis on tiki. We’ll see, meanwhile why go here when Minnies is less than a mile down the road.

Covered in great detail on this thread.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6237&forum=2&hilite=lounge modesto

DC

Mahalo for the quick reply Dusty. That tread is from 2003 and the place is just a shell of it’s former self. Hopefully 2015 will herald a rebirth of the Tiki Lounge.
Cheers
Btw, I did a search and got zero results cuz I called it Tiki Lounge Instead of it’s right name Tiki Cocktail Lounge. Also glad to say that the open “fire Pit” with it’s supercool 60’s style hood is still there.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-01-21 21:40 ]

Do you mean there's no Tiki decor whatsoever inside? There sure wasn't much to begin with, when I found it in the 90s. I was still thrilled to discover the place.

Looking at Google Street View, it seems the "TIKI" name is still spelled out in bamboo on the front:

…like it was in the original:

The above Tiki pole is also still there - though wedged in by the front patio fence. It seems to have survived because it functions as support to hold up the entrance door awning:

The "Tiki Cocktails" sign can is still original, and I get a kick out of seeing the Hanalei Tiki from the BOT used on the new signs:

I hope N.N. you are not joining the growing number of folks who feel entitled to find craft cocktails in every place that calls itself Tiki. Where is your sense of urban archeology, of getting excited abut ANY original remnants still in situ?

On 2015-01-22 13:23, bigbrotiki wrote:
Do you mean there's no Tiki decor whatsoever inside? There sure wasn't much to begin with, when I found it in the 90s. I was still thrilled to discover the place.

Looking at Google Street View, it seems the "TIKI" name is still spelled out in bamboo on the front:
…like it was in the original:
The above Tiki pole is also still there - though wedged in by the front patio fence. It seems to have survived because it functions as support to hold up the entrance door awning:
The "Tiki Cocktails" sign can is still original, and I get a kick out of seeing the Hanalei Tiki from the BOT used on the new signs

I hope N.N. you are not joining the growing number of folks who feel entitled to find craft cocktails in every place that calls itself Tiki. Where is your sense of urban archeology, of getting excited abut ANY original remnants still in situ?

Sven, I was looking forward to a “Tiki” drink. The kid behind the bar had no clue except to offer some Cp’n Morgan and pineapple juice.The drinks were secondary-We wanted to check this place out. I was impressed with the A-frame that houses the lounge and the outside of the bldg. Sure got my attention. I thoroughly checked out the building inside and out. the outside decor had my mouth watering. Sitting at the bar there is very little tiki to be seen. Might be cuz the owner passed away recently and the treasures have been given a new home elsewhere. The stools and other furnishings inside are in dire need of repair and were no doubt perfect for the Tiki Cocktail Lounge in it’s heyday. Dang. I wish I had brought my camera. I’m looking forward to my next visit-I want to see how the son revitalizes his fathers dream.
Btw, Minnies drinks leave me mostly unimpressed but I visit em every chance I get.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-01-22 17:32 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies