Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Carved Tiki Shoes....

Pages: 1 14 replies

...anyone know where to get a pair of these shoes for a reasonable price?

Since all of us are in a different tax bracket, what is your perception of reasonable?

Keep checking ebay, since there always seems to be at least one pair up for sale all the time.

I'd say about $50 or less...is that outside the ballpark? I've seen them on ebay, but they are always super tiny...I'm looking for my wife and she wears an 8...

MF~

After looking at the website that you got the picture from, I'd say that $85 isn't so bad. Why? Because it includes shipping (hopefully it's priority shipping), and the time it would take to find your wife's exact size, a style that would be pleasing to her, AND finding them in good/great shape on ebay, may not be worth the wait (to some), so I'd splurge for the $85. Of course, not everyone can afford that for shoes, but you may want to shop early for a birthday? Christmas? just because?

Of course, your $50 price range would be better.

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

SugarCaddyDaddy's SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule!

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-07-28 13:01 ]

Crazy Al carved cute little Lizzy a pair a while back. I would imagine they're killer.

M

Yeah, the shoes are ok, but not worth $85 in my opinion (seen them in person)...just seeing if there was a cheaper or different outlet for similar shoes.

I think they're made in the philippines, because the text translates to, "hut house." In the philippines we call them bakya, or wooden clogs. You might want to try http://www.tatakpilipino.com or visit them on sunset. They're pretty close to Wackos / La Luz De Jesus Gallery.

I just came back from Tatak Pilipino, and found the exact clog for $16. The only thing different is that it is not painted. You can either paint it yourself or just wear it like that. I didn't see it on their on-line catalog, but it was definitely at the store.

On 2003-07-28 13:20, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Crazy Al carved cute little Lizzy a pair a while back. I would imagine they're killer.

Much more de-tailed!!!

M

Thanks Monitors!!! I live in Detroit, but I can give them a call and see if they will ship them out from the store.

Matt

Just wanted to let you guys know that I contacted this gal from Lucky Lou and she's awesome! I suggested that she designed Tiki carved shoes and she's already got them in the works. (link above in SugarCaddyDaddy's post)

She went to this family that has hand carved these shoes since the 40's and asked them to carve cherries, dice, and yes tiki's into these shoes and they thought she was crazy. But, they're doing it. The other styles are on the site now and they're still working on the tiki design which should debut this fall.

I would say they're worth the price!!

She's also planning to attend and sell at Hukilau next year!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2003-08-24 11:02 ]

Hey Now,

These are kickin'!!! My daughter would love to have these with a Tiki on them. Thanks for pursuing the possibility.

L

Hey Guys and Gals*

I'm Linda Lou and I have a shoe company called Lucky Lou. Lovely Miss Tiki Kiliki turned me on to your cool site and I just wanted to comment on a few things regarding the carved shoes I sell. I've been collecting these vintage shoes for years and, after about 2 years of research, finally found one of the families that's still carving them.
Since I love all things Rockabilly, I asked them to carve cherries, tikis, flames, dice and such into the shoes. So that's how this little business got started. I know other carved shoes are available, and for less money, but I don't think any one else is having those icons carved into them. I'm just trying to get some cool Rockabilly shoes out in the world, do what I love and have some fun too.
Oh, and due to popular demand, my shoes will soon sell for $75 on my website (yes, that includes shipping). That's a darn good price for kustom-made shoes. Each pair is individually hand-carved and painted and that ain't cheap. These shoes are not made in any sweat-shop. I also have to pay import taxes and shipping from the Philippines. That ain't cheap either.
So I appreciate your comments and suggestions and support. Let me know what y'all think from time to time and visit me at the Hukilau and Viva Las Vegas as well.

S

These are my Tiki shoes - just got them this week!

Pages: 1 14 replies