Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Water features in the home bar

Pages: 1 4 replies

My bar has been offline for awhile but I'm slowly bringing it back up to speed. A new feature I want to add is a small standalone waterfall. At just under three feet tall and made of resin to resemble lava rock I think it will be a good fit. A question I have for members here is how to keep the recirculated water from getting nasty. If I had to guess the capacity of the waterfall would be no more than two gallons of water. I plan to have many of my plastic and silk jungle plants incorporated around the waterfall to give it a good feel. If anyone has a feature like this I would love to hear some tips on maintaining one in the home bar and thanks.

The best thing you can do is keep the water circulating to prevent algae from growing. If it won't be running all the time then go to your local nursery that sells pond and fountain equipment and purchase an algeacide to treat the water.

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2015-01-24 19:09 ]

Trav, I use an algaecide I got at Home Depot. A small splash a month is all you need.

Depending on the size of your feature, there are brominating tablets for spas that will keep the algae from growing and will not hurt your pump. I have a fountain in my bar and I will turn it on at least once a week to get it circulating for an hour or so. One tablet will last for a month or two depending on how often you use your water feature.

Also use filtered water or distilled water to avoid calcium and mineral buildups on the pump.

Pages: 1 4 replies