Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

in awe of the Night Blooming Cerius

Pages: 1 20 replies

KK

Last Saturday night we were treated to a rare event- our night blooming cerius sprouted it's yearly pod and morphed into a gorgeous flower. This exotic bloom begins its life as the offspring of a plain, flat cactus leaf and slowly turns into a spectacular flower which lives for ONE NIGHT ONLY and fills the area with an intoxicating fragrance unlike any other. To honor its short, beautiful life, we break out the tiki torches, ceremonial mugs, etc. and invite friends to watch and imbibe. The next morning is very much like the day after Hukilau- the bloom is dead, the scent is gone, but the memory lasts.

Splendid.

I want one.

I used to have a few of those. They are spectacular. They bloom at night so the bats will pollinate.

Thanks for sharing. Now I want one too! How beautiful.

My parents' bloomed last Wednesday.

No adjective is to exaggerated to describe the beautiful, large blossoms, the very strong enchanting fragrance or the unusual character of a flower that blooms only at night.

Excellent tiki celebration - I love the "wild and natural" aspect of the tiki fest.

Is it true about the bats?

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2003-07-28 22:16 ]

Very cool!

Kava King,

How are the blossoms this season?

My parents are having a bumper crop - The blooms are in the 4th rotation this summer!

KK

We're still (patiently) waiting for them to form. We've had a lot more rain in Georgia this summer than usual which probably has some effect. It's always worth the wait and I love watching the S-L-O-W progress!

L
laney posted on Wed, Aug 18, 2004 7:23 PM

Hi, I just sent this post to my Mom. She has 2 big plants, one grown from a cutting. One was in full shade and had lots of blooms like 10. the other was in partial sun and wouldn't sprout a bud. They moved it and out come bunches of buds!
The buds remind me of "Little Shop of Horrors" I make them say "Feeeed me Seymore"
She loves the pictures of the open flowers.

M

Beautiful!!!

Mine finally bloomed!

I've had a night blooming cerius for 20 years that has NEVER bloomed. It's highly annoying. Any tips on getting it to?

Chris

L

On 2006-07-15 23:29, Kona Chris wrote:
I've had a night blooming cerius for 20 years that has NEVER bloomed. It's highly annoying. Any tips on getting it to?

Chris

sue it. kill it. read it a bad dream inducing bedtime story. tell it the part in the bible; man has dominion over nature!
that IS annoying. Not just, but yes; Highly!! annoying! a flower that should bring peace, tranquility, calm, equanimity and beauty into one's life creates a reaction as that!
Legal recourse. yes. Pain and suffering. Intentional infliction of emotional distress... I would sue nature. yea.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 16, 2006 1:35 AM

Thats cool. I don't have a green thumb, but I like that... :)

On 2006-07-15 23:29, Kona Chris wrote:

Chris

After not watering for months, I have thourougly soaked it 2x week for approx 3 months. I also gave it Hawaiian plant food (with a high first number).

You may also want to improve the topsoil, or plant it if it is in a pot.

Make sure it gets sun.

Yes Chris, contrary to popular thought, cacti do need water. Especially fleshy cacti like cerius. Just make sure the soil is fast draining and water doesn't stand too long around it. They also like some shade from hot afternoon sun.

My 2nd of two blooms occurred tonight. Amazing!

We have one that was my Great Great Grandmother's. It's in a 50 Gal. pot and my Grandmother counted 27 blooms on it this year.
They are super cool.
Laffo

Incredible.
Is that the norm?

Incredible.
Is that the norm?

I don't know, the thing's over 100 years old, so...
All of us have our own plants off it.
It's been like that for my entire 40 years.
It's a ritual to pull that monster into her "Florida Room" every year.
They're a cinch to grow down here.
Gotta stay in a pot though, a little cold will get one.
Laffo

Pages: 1 20 replies