Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki burlesque from Lydia DeCarllo VIBF 2014

Pages: 1 3 replies

T

Is it just me? It seems that many of the young burlesque acts
are more modern stripper routines with a retro look, then the classic burlesque/Tease

I also find the Tattoos distracting (I am no hater of Tattoos) but no classic burlesque lady
would ever have tattoos which invokes those Rockabilly pinup burlesque acts (nothing wrong with them, but just not the same)
but I find they are by the numbers type acts & lack any real sexuality, an air of mystery & the art of the tease
that all the old classic ladies of burlesque, did so well.

T
twitch posted on Wed, Feb 4, 2015 2:50 PM

Oh, I'd have to disagree: all of the old footage of burly-q I've ever seen is pretty much the same as what I've seen in all the shows I've been to (except the whole being in black-and-white part :) ).

Many of today's performers meticulously study the old masters and keep some of that old spirit alive - like the massive feather-fans and long-form burlesque - while obviously bringing in their own take on the show. Really, take in a Burlesque festival in your area and you'll be blown away (Vancouver has a three-day fest every year)!

Thanks for your take on it, I have seen many burlesque acts over the years
beginning with the burlesque revival in Amsterdam in 1982, to the resurgence
in the 1990s with the L.A. Arthouse scene that continues today, things have changed a bit.
so I do have a modicum of experience :)

Pages: 1 3 replies