Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Red tiki cocktails for V day?

Pages: 1 4 replies

Please save me some research...looking for a rum-based tiki drink that will be red. So far I see the Red Tide. Guess I could add grenadine to anything but not really looking for that route. Any other suggestions?
thanks

If you don't want to use grenadine you can use raspberry gum syrup. Somewhat less expensive and much more easy to find, you could also use the rose syrup that comes with hibiscus flowers. It's a decent sweetener and you can use as much or as little to modulate from a soft pink to a deep red. I use it with Fruitlab's hibiscus liqueur, which also adds a deep red.

Boo's Hula:

3 oz coconut water
3/4 oz fresh persian lime
1/2 oz Fruitlab liqueur
1 1/2 oz El Dorado 5 year
1 smackerel rose syrup

Collins, rocks, garnish with hibiscus flower and/or lime wedge

[ Edited by: oroborean 2015-02-14 08:49 ]

Thanks for introducing me to a new word also, "smackerel." This drink sounds interesting. Raspberry gum syrup easy to find? Hmm... I will make a foray but I'm not too confident I can find that or the Fruitlab locally but will keep my eyes open.

On 2015-02-14 08:46, oroborean wrote:
If you don't want to use grenadine you can use raspberry gum syrup. Somewhat less expensive and much more easy to find, you could also use the rose syrup that comes with hibiscus flowers. It's a decent sweetener and you can use as much or as little to modulate from a soft pink to a deep red. I use it with Fruitlab's hibiscus liqueur, which also adds a deep red.

Boo's Hula:

3 oz coconut water
3/4 oz fresh persian lime
1/2 oz Fruitlab liqueur
1 1/2 oz El Dorado 5 year
1 smackerel rose syrup

Collins, rocks, garnish with hibiscus flower and/or lime wedge

[ Edited by: oroborean 2015-02-14 08:49 ]

H
H

May be too late for your Valentine's Day, but for the future: I made three different pink/red drinks for our party last night, and the runaway hit was the Singapore Sling. I used the 1950s recipe from the Beachbum Berry books (via the Beachbum Berry's Total Tiki app for iPhone).

Pages: 1 4 replies