Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

ATOMIC TIKI TERRORS! at Creature Features Gallery opening reception Sunday, July 19

Pages: 1 20 replies

T

Coming this summer...

Creature Features Gallery presents Atomic Tiki Terrors!

...a group art show that focuses on 50's and 60's monster movies, and vintage Tiki Culture, two seemingly disparate subjects...

Mid-century America, at the dawn of the Atomic Age... to dodge the concept of nuclear annihilation, our fine citizens found refuge in exotic worlds and fantastical situations:
Kids thrilled to monster movie matinees and collected Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, where mutants, giant bugs, and space invaders all tempered (and fed on) the fear of atomic armageddon.
Adults escaped into an exotic, make-believe world of tiki bars and backyard luaus, where Polynesian trappings and rum-based cocktails took them away from their urban surroundings and allowed them to forget their radioactive reality.

Atomic Tiki Terrors! pays tribute to this fascinating era of fads and crazes, of tikis and terrors with artwork from over 50 artists in the fields of film & TV, fine art, comics, make-up & visual FX, children’s book illustration and more!

The show will also feature a Tiki Trading Post vending area in the lot behind the gallery, live tiki-inspired music, a special tiki cocktail provided by Tonga Hut, and more surprises to be announced.

The opening reception for the show is Sunday, July 19th, from noon until 6pm. The show will be on exhibit until August 9th at Creature Features Gallery, 2904 West Magnolia Blvd. Burbank, CA. 91505

Exhibiting artists include:
Abbybelle
Atomikitty
Baï
Christine Benjamin
BigToe
Kevin Cannarile
Anthony Carpenter
Ken Daly
Eric Diaz
John Eaves
Kimber Grobman
El Gato Gomez
Gris Grimly
Michael Flemming
Dawn Frasier
Thomas Fernandez
Jake Geiger
Kenneth J. Hall
Mary J. Hoffman
Doug Horne
Robert Jimenez
Phil Joyce
Junkhauler
Lake Tiki
Rebecca Lord
MP
Chris Mason
Woody Miller
Ken Mitchroney
Ken Morgan
John Mulder
Nesshead
Eric October
Brad Tiki Shark Parker
Doug P’Gosh
Tim Polecat
Alex Quintero
Ken Ruzic
Matt Reese
Michael Sbicca
Ethan Spaulding
Mark Tavares
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Al
Tiki tOny
Michael Uhlenkott
Amy Watson
Paul Wee
Woody Welch
And More!

Stay tuned for more details!

http://creaturefeatures.com

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2015-06-29 20:17 ]

Excellent!
For a moment I thought this was one of my threads....

T

Ha ha!

I suppose it is possible some people might consider ATP a terror, but this show promises to be terrifically thrilling!

And really, who could object to ATP?!?

Hope you can make it out to the show!

T

Aloha everybody!

Here's some updated info for Atomic Tiki Terrors! group art show at Creature Features Gallery:

Tonga Hut will be on hand to provide a special tiki cocktail!

Exhibiting artists in the fields of film & TV, fine art, comics, make-up & visual FX, children’s book illustration and more include:
Abbybelle
Atomikitty
Baï
Christine Benjamin
BigToe
Kevin Cannarile
Anthony Carpenter
Ken Daly
Eric Diaz
John Eaves
Kimber Grobman
El Gato Gomez
Gris Grimly
Michael Flemming
Dawn Frasier
Thomas Fernandez
Jake Geiger
Kenneth J. Hall
Mary J. Hoffman
Doug Horne
Robert Jimenez
Phil Joyce
Junkhauler
Lake Tiki
Rebecca Lord
MP
Chris Mason
Woody Miller
Ken Mitchroney
Ken Morgan
John Mulder
Nesshead
Eric October
Brad Tiki Shark Parker
Doug P’Gosh
Alex Quintero
Ken Ruzic
Matt Reese
Michael Sbicca
Ethan Spaulding
Mark Tavares
Tiki Al
Tiki Diablo
Tiki tOny
Michael Uhlenkott
Amy Watson
Paul Wee
Woody Welch
And More!

The artist roster for the show if full, but there are still vending spaces available for the opening reception Tiki Trading Post.

Stay tuned for more details!

[ Edited by: tobunga 2015-06-29 17:22 ]

Nice lineup, knocking it out of the park, Eric!

W

So excited to be a part! So much awesome!

T

Thanks ATP! Very excited about the artists involved... like Woody! Thanks for contributing, Woody!

Here's a preview of coming attractions... one of my pieces for the show!

KG

of course it's in CA...all the awesome stuff always is! I'm so jealous...I'd be one of the first ones at the door if I lived even remotely close to this. :(

T

Aloha Everybody!

This event is going to be totally tiki!!! LA's oldest tiki bar, Tonga Hut, will be serving up radioactive refreshments at the opening reception. You can't get more mid-century than that! Monstrous, man!

http://www.tongahut.com

T

Here's a preview of Woody Welch's wonderful work for the show. Wait 'til you see 'em in person!

T

Aloha Everybody!

We are excited to announce that the Jimmy Psycho Experiment will be providing monstrous music for the opening reception, with a heady mix of monster, surf, exotica and classic lounge... the perfect soundtrack for a spine-tingling time at Creature Features Gallery!

http://www.jimmypsycho.com

T

Here's a quick peek at Michael Uhlenkott's unbelievably marvelous art for the show.

Can't wait to see this,
Really looking forward to it.

Jeff Btd

T

Stop by the Tiki Trading Post at the opening reception for Atomic Tiki Terrors! group art show.

Vendors include:
Krisdrama
Sweet Siren Designs
Hotiki
BigToe
Jungle Modern Ceramics
Meteor Jewelry
Fancy Fruits
Adventurer's Day
Robert Bowen

There are a couple of vending spaces available, any interested vendors, please contact us!

Mahalo!
Creature Features Gallery

[ Edited by: tobunga 2015-06-30 17:15 ]

T

Aloha Everybody!

If yer still fired up and ready to blast off after the opening reception of Atomic Tiki Terrors! on Sunday, July 19th, head on over to Tonga Hut, where the OFFICIAL AFTERPARTY kicks off at 5pm!

http://www.tongahut.com

J

Wow, this is right in my Tiki Zone! I was a sixties monster kid who collected Famous Monsters and dug my cool father's Martin Denny albums as much as the Beatles! I know my lifelong love of Tiki started there. Anyway, I hope to attend this event. On a related subject Eric, this gives me a chance to complement you on your cosmic painting based on Godzilla vs the Sea Monster which you posted on a thread here at TC about that movie. This is one of my favorite paintings of all time! The concept and the awesome look of annoyance you depicted on Godzilla's face are priceless and hilarious. Mahalo!

T

Here's some more fun for the Atomic Tiki Terrors! gallery show: one of two official pendant designs. 25 of each design, numbered and stamped with the show logo on back!
This one is the Terror!

This one is the Tiki!
It's based on the two story fireplace at the dearly departed Kahiki restaurant, turned into an atomic rocketship!

Do I see Paul Blaisdell's Beulah from It Conquered the World? Awesome pendants, Tobunga!

T

Why yes. Yes you do!

Blaisdell was the master of creating magic on a shoestring budget. In some instances there were no shoes even, never mind the shoestrings!

He contributed so much to the art of movie making, and his work deserves to be celebrated!

Thanks for the bump reminder,
With such a busy summer I had forgotten this was coming up.

I will be vending! Here's a sampling of my Rum-centric wood workings.

Mint Muddlers

RUM Stoppers

RUM Barrel necklaces and beads

Pages: 1 20 replies