Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Chicago area tiki article: Newcity, Feb. 19-26 issue

Pages: 1 4 replies

Free rag here in Chicago has a good cover story this week wherein a columnist visits eight established Chicagoland tiki places in seven days (by bicycle and train.) I thought it was well done with a good understanding of tiki culture and decor. Another columnist also reviews the Lost Lake bar and attached restaurant.

It's not on their website. I assume they will post it, and I'll put a link here if no one else does. I'm putting this out there for locals so they can watch for a copy to pick up. It just came out yesterday.

TT

Andy,

Yeah, we happened to be at the Chef that evening having dinner with Pete (Ragbag Comics) and Katie, we noticed the guy snapping photos and taking notes towards the end of the Rick "Elvis" Saucedo performance, wasn't sure who he was til Kate posted the article on FB.

Pretty sure he was referring to our table when discribing the "younger tiki revivalists, identifiable by their aloha shirts, horned-rim glasses and porkpie hats" seen at Chef Shangri-La during the Elvis performance. Like Kate said, in my case "he must of meant younger than your Grandpa"! Luv it! :D

Ha! I did note that passage.

TT

While we're waiting for them to post the article, I need an opinion from the brain trust. This is a photo of the cover of said newspaper. Laying over the bottom left corner is an invitation I made for a New Year's Day party. Take a look at the elements of each. Anything look familiar?

I did in fact give one of these invitations to a good friend of a Newcity editor. It is even possible I said to extend the invitation to said editor because I do know that editor.

Coincidence? Conspiracy?

Disclaimer: It should be obvious that I lifted a menu cover to use for the base image for the invitation, so I am not taking credit for creating that.

TT

I don't know what to call it, Tonga, but I DO know that I like yours is better.
:drink:
Cheers!

Pages: 1 4 replies