Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Kahuna Kevin cocktail books $5 cheaper + FREE vinyl sticker.

Pages: 1 12 replies

Quick heads up everyone, I found a new local printer who is giving me a price break vs current shop that's been raising prices every year since 2010. I'm passing this savings on to you, my awesome customers, effective immediately all online stores selling Kahuna Kevin books are $5 off:
KahunaKevin.com
Amazon.com
Etsy.com
eBay.com

Plus every book is signed and I'm also tossing in a free round 3/5" vinyl sticker with every purchase.

Mahalo!!!
Kevin

Kevin, I have such mixed feelings about your book. It is truly a beautiful book, and the print quality is among the best that I've seen. And it comes hand signed. It's a work of art. But the content irks me a little. You state in the book that drinks need to be mixed exactly as described, with the exact ingredients. I have thousands of dollars of different rums from all over the world. I have dozens of mixers and liquors and other things. And flipping through your beautiful book, I can maybe make one drink in there "exactly", possibly two, I haven't looked in a while. I believe I may have noticed some of the same criticisms on the Amazon page when I bought it.

T

Me too.
You can't even find some of the ingredients.
Guess you need to get them online.

BUT the idea of a cocktail was to make crappy booze palatable not the finest booze
into a drink.

Maybe your next book could use more readily available ingredients.

Hey guys, you can substitute I just don't recommend blindly substituting ingredients, as would any professional bartender. Try to use a rum from the similar region if possible, otherwise yes, use a gold rum in place of another gold rum if that's all you have. My second volume and upcoming 3rd make this a bit easier by generalizing ingredients by region and color, plus the actual ingredients used when I created each drink are in (parenthesis) for exact 1:1 mixing.

If you are outside the US ingredients will definitely be more difficult to locate, as is with most Tiki drinks the Internet is your friend to locate and find ingredients. This is all spelled out in my books. I use top shelf rum and ingredients because the difference in a great cocktail are the sum of those base ingredients. Aged rum and quality liquor make a difference vs the idea of trying to hide poor quality rum with poor quality corn syrup mixers.

If you are looking for Tiki recipes tossing in Roses grenadine and bacardi silver, yep, you've definitely stumbled on the wrong cocktail book series. I take great pride, R&D time and personal investment differentiating my series and my drinks from the regular pack, and the majority of my readers overwhelmingly agree with the results. Again all this is mentioned in my descriptions... "Made with fresh ingredients, top-shelf rum and quality liqueurs..."

If you are domestic and need help finding ingredients, try BevMo.com, HiTimeWine.net, DrinkUpNY.com, K&L wine, etc. Again all of this basic info is in the 8 page introduction to my first volume. If you still need help finding something send me an email with a list and I'll try and help.

Regards,
Kevin

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2015-02-27 19:25 ]

I would be interested in seeing a few example recipes from Vol 2 and Vol 3 that are more generalized.

Here's the first drink from Vol. 2, I can't post Vol. 3 recipes as the book isn't even finished yet. Format will be exactly the same.

https://twitter.com/Kahuna_Kevin/status/546443021659566080?s=09

T

To substitute the Martinique Cane Syrup, go to Trader Joe's or another quality market like Whole Foods and buy a couple bags or cups of Demerara sugar or Turbinado sugar. Pour 2 parts sugar and 1 part filtered water into a bottle and shake every couple hours until dissolved. It'll take a day or two for the sugar to completely dissolve cold process (no heating). The end result is an extremely flavorful rich and dark rock candy syrup which can be used in place of Depaz or other prebottled cane syrups.

You can also find Fentiman's colas at BevMo liquor stores and also Cost Plus World Markets, at least in my location. You'll save a bunch on not shipping.

Also you can substitute Lemon Hart 151 with Hamilton's 151 available at Beltramos.com and HiTimeWine.net. Lemon Hart may or not be produced again, and for those who didn't hoard bottles before the announcement, Hamilton's is a legit alternative.

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2015-03-09 01:29 ]

T

I found it!
After four stores, I FOUND THE COLA!
This store in Columbus stocks it.
Weilands Market.
http://www.weilandsmarket.com

Sooo I go to Weilands AND, That's right, they have every flavor, BUT the cola.
Looks like I will need to place an order with them to get it.
$8.99 for four.

There's no f-ing way I'm finding the the cane syrup local.

A

Weilands usually has it, as I buy that cola there. Also, I've seen it at world market.

Anestiki

T

So you bought ALL of the Lemon Hart in town AND all the super rare cola? :)

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-03-13 07:12 ]

M

just got the books this week.....

...made the 'grog blossom'
used the hawaiian amber i had on hand (koloa spiced).....pretty good.

thanks!

I'm shocked the store didn't have a wall of Fentiman's Curiosity Cola! Seriously it's their original and best cola. I buy double amounts, one for mixers, the other half to drink on ice. It puts all other colas to shame. As far as not finding the cane syrup, go the Demerara/Turbinado/natural unbleached sugar route, 2 sugar cups to every 1 cup filtered water (2:1), let sit in a bottle, shake every couple hours until completely dissolved. Keep in the fridge afterwards, it lasts a very long time. My favorite glass bottles to store syrup are the massive 1 Liter Tejava bottles. They're cheap (usually 99-cents to $1.99) and a bottle can last months without having to make more syrup. Just clean with bleach and hot water between batches.

Glad ya liked the Grog Blossom! I will have to try with spiced rum, might go well with the nutmeg and Campari.

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2015-03-24 02:21 ]

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2015-03-24 02:27 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies