Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

KC Co Hawaiian Girl mug-one color glaze

Pages: 1 5 replies

H

I got outbid on this one, never seen one with only one color glaze before.

Anybody see one like this before?

howlinowl

Howl, I have several of the colored glaze ones. They are very common on the west coast. That said, I have never seen one like yours.
Did the seller mention how or they got their mitts on it?
Mahalo for your post.

It was on shopgoodwill.com, so it was probably donated. Only one other bidder than myself. Shipping to me was a bit high, $13.88. I was the first bidder, so I bid $10. Second bidder bid on it a few days later. Figured I'd wait until the last day to see if there were more bidders. None others, but his/her proxy bid was much higher than my first bid, I bid $15, then $20 just before end of auction, but still was outbid.

Here's the link to the expired auction:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?itemid=20299171

Rest of the images from the auction:

howlinowl

[ Edited by: howlinowl 2015-03-09 01:07 ]

H

Just noticed this while posting the rest of the pics. Can you reglaze a mug? On the back of the mug, at the top looks to be chips that are yellowish in color:

And on the back, an area that looks a little darker, possibly from the reglaze being a bit thinner, and some black spots that look like bubbles where the glaze didn't take:

There are some areas on the bottom that are apparent, not sure if it's just dirt or not.

I'm thinking maybe someone owned this, didn't care for the multiple loud colors and maybe reglazed it to tone it down.

howlinowl

Edit: Just noticed in the side view at the top some more yellow at top where the flowers are.

[ Edited by: howlinowl 2015-03-09 01:25 ]

I am thinking someone just repainted the mug, judging from the photos
you may have dodged a bullet on that sale.

H

I'm thinking you are correct, ATP. Thank goodness we had my daughters birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese today or I would have had considerable more disposible income today and might have gone higher.

howlinowl

Pages: 1 5 replies