Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Catalog of Cool hits the web

Pages: 1 6 replies

S
Scram posted on Tue, Jul 29, 2003 9:39 AM

Gene Sculatti and I would like to invite all cats interested in exploring the deep veins of pop cult pleasure to click over to http://www.catalog-of-cool.com, the online home of Gene's out-of-print books CATALOG OF COOL and TOO COOL. You'll find wild music, book, film, tube and miscellaneous reviews from folks like Art Fein, Lux Interior, R. Meltzer, Domenic Priore, Joey Ramone, Nick Tosches, Tim Warren and John Waters, plus a message board where you can tout your picks for volume 3, TRES COOL. Right now the site's made up of vintage book excerpts, but peel an eye for upcoming "New Digs" features, links and pix, and more surprises.

We'd love to have your feedback, and hope you'll stop by.

Kim Cooper
Kitten with a Hip
http://www.catalog-of-cool.com

I'm adding it to my Favorites list right now!

I remember listening to their radio show back in the '80s, any chance of getting samples of the Downtown Irwindale skits?

Freddie,

Man, I'm tickled that anyone remembers "The Cool And The Crazy" show. We've considered issuing some show but have figured it'd be cost-prohibitive, as we'd have to pay music clearances and--in the case of the Irwindale spots with Bob "Big Boy" Bender and Don Chowder--pay the folks who worked on the bits. The show involved many people, not just me (Vic Tripp)and co-founder/co-host Ronn Spencer (Art Fraud). But thanks for your interest.

I picked up "The Catalog of Cool" in 1984. To this day I consider it a valuable addition to my reference library. The web is OK, but I still prefer the tactal experience of curling up with a good book

I was stoked to see that "The Continental" was listed in the tube section of Too Cool. The only thing cooler ... Christopher Walken's spoof of the show on SNL.

T

I remember having a beat up old copy of Catalog of Cool in my first bachelor pad in about 1988. My hardcore Goth room-mate, Dave, once looked at it spitefully, commenting with some outrage that "according to this book, anything new wave or from the 50s is cool!".

My response (coolly, of course) was: "and your point?".

Dave went on to open a tattoo shop, and is the guy who did the Maori-inspired honu on my right pec, so he turned out OK anyway.

S

Hey folks,

There are a bunch of new features at Gene Sculatti's catalog-of.cool.com, the online home of THE CATALOG OF COOL and TOO COOL.

We've got reviews of Andrew Loog Oldham's recent memoirs, Harry Shearer's Le Show, "The
Loved One," super Sammy Davis Jr. action in "Anna Lucasta," plus Cassavetes as swinging beat P.I. Johnny Staccato and wild contempo gospel preachers Juanita Bynum and Rod Parsley.

Just look for the "New Digs" links on the main page and at INK, MISC, SCREEN and TUBE. We've
also added a slew of pics from the original books, and the guestbook remains open for you to pitch your faves for inclusion in volume 3, TRES COOL. Plus for a limited time we've got mint autographed copies of the first book available.

We sure hope you'll stop by.

Kim Cooper
Kitten with a Hip

Pages: 1 6 replies