Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Rapa Nui Reef

Pages: 1 19 replies

This is happening at my beach!! Are you kidding me? This is supposed to be sunk the week before Hukilau. We need to set up a flotilla to welcome it. and a dive trip the Sunday after Hukilau.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/deerfield-beach/fl-deerfield-rapa-nui-reef-20150421-story.html

Quote:
"To Rapa Nui Reef!" toasted a gaggle of the project's leaders, clinking plastic cups of champagne."

Sacrilege! Couldn't they bring Aku Aku mugs with something made with rum? Seriously, it is so great that somebody, somewhere is fostering an event like this. Imagine the scale of such a project..

It appears the projects leaders educated themselves on Rapa Nui and its history - however, I agree that they are missing a lot in terms of the Tiki culture! I don't care as long as THEY are paying for it - we get to reap the rewards!

Wow, another reason to go to the Hukilau.

I wonder if, in 200 years or so, this will confuse the hell out of underwater archaeologists?

hahahaha... :drink:

They are making progress.

Good photo. I'm not sure I'm understanding the placement of these guys - are the moai going into shallow water so that they will be visible some or all of the time above the surface of the water?

T

The barge will be sunk in 75 feet of water, so it will be a diving reef for scuba folks. It won't be visible from the shore, but perhaps a glass-bottom boat would work. Hey, maybe that's a new venture someone could start: "See Rapa Nui From A Whole New Perspective"

Thanks - I get it now - it is being built on a barge and the whole assembly will be sunk. Makes sense.

I like the idea of a moai visible from shore too.

It will be on public display June 5 & 6 at Two Georges (restaurant in Deerfield on the intercoastal). It will be sunk June 7th. The public viewing will be the only time you can see it up close without having a dive mask on. I intend to have a beach party for the sinking - everyone is invited! Here's the official FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/RapaNuiReef?fref=ts

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2015-05-01 10:27 ]

H
T

LOL Classic. It was top heavy. $500,000 and apparently no engineers monitoring the project. Ugh.

Really heartbreaking. With a half-million dollar project you would think they'd have been up to speed on the engineering side of the sinking of that thing.

Rubble Nui?

Who knew it was so difficult to sink things?

S

On 2015-06-08 11:18, RevBambooBen wrote:
Rubble Nui?

:lol:

My daughter and I were front row to watch this thing go down. As soon as it started to list they tried to save it. Unfortunately the barge flipped and landed on to of the sculptures! Its still going to become a reef but now it needs to be called the Rapa Nui Wreck! I plan on diving on it some time in July - hopefully they will have made it more safe by then.

This guy has some good photos.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Grapek-Photography-Online/140448841709?pnref=story

Rapa Kablooey.

That would be Rapa New-ey!

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2015-06-09 09:32 ]

Pages: 1 19 replies