Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Help with Bamboo Aquarium

Pages: 1 12 replies

I

Any one know more about this? I haven't seen too many, and not this big either. Thanks!

T

Sorry, no info. But that thing is freaking amazing!

Wow! That is really cool. How did you come across it?

I

SF Bay Area Craigslist! The guy posted it for free, but I called, offered to pay for it, and so it is mine!

I'm remodeling my Bar to a Lounge, and this piece is going to save me some construction time!

The old name of my spot is the Tiki Torture Bamboo Bar, but since it's no longer a bar, what location-type name goes with Tiki Torture?

Please help!

On 2015-05-03 21:57, IDoVoodoo wrote:
...what location-type name goes with Tiki Torture?

"Malibu Rum" and many Bacardi products, lol!

On a more serious note about the lounge name, it helps to know if you're going for a more tongue-in-cheek name or something more dark and connected to torture. Some quick off-the-cuff thoughts:

"Tiki Torture Pleasure Lounge" offers contrast between torture and pleasure. (Some equate the two concepts, heh...)
"Tiki Torture & Savage Lounge" offers a connection between torture and savages.
"Tiki Torture & Cannibalism Lounge" offers more smirk-worthy darkness by introducing the concept of people as cuisine.
"Tiki Torture & Savagery Saloon" offers another word for "lounge" and also rolls off the tongue a bit more playfully.

So there ya go, a couple off-the-cuff thoughts. I'm sure others will chime in...

Nice ones!

Tiki Torture Bamboo Room, or drop Tiki Torture and go with part of your user name: Voodoo Bamboo Room.

I LOVE that aquarium case! Congratulations!

tiki Torcher.

I

So far, so good, but Tiki Torture must stay; it's from my childhood. :)

Suffering Tiki Torture lounge.

I have seen a lot of people using those aquariums as mug displays as well. You can do some cool stuff with them. Good luck.

8T

First congrats on your find. It's massive! Just a note for clarity, that is not bamboo but rattan. A very common confusion. Bamboo is rigid and harder to use for such things as furniture whereas rattan when harvested is more able to conform to bending and is solid unlike bamboo with a hollow core.
I guess there is not a thread with other rattan aquariums shown together but I know there have been others posted so I rounded a few of them up. First are the 2 I have found at yard sales here in the Kansas City area:

Here's a few more I found in other threads. You should also check out the "Show off your rattan" thread. COOL STUFF there!

From what I have heard from former owners of these aquariums you could get them made custom made to whatever size or height you wanted. Mostly made in the Phillipines I think.

I

Wow! Great info! Those are some neat ones! I love the intricate tops! Mine is just flat, but I guess it's good to put stuff on. I believe the one I have was also made in the Philippines.

Pages: 1 12 replies