Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Honor thy Spam

Pages: 1 22 replies

Interesting article. I knew the time would come were Spam would have to fight against the usage of the word "spam" for unwanted, solicited junk e-mail (and posts...ha!)

mmmmmmm....spam misuuuuuuuuuuuubi...Looks like I'm having L&L Hawaiian today!

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

SPAM IS LORD!

[ Edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:20 ]

DT~
uh...thanks(?). I may have already said this, but just in case, I guess all I have to say to that is

mmmmmmm....spam misuuuuuuuuuuuubi!

Atomic, raise your hands and let me hear you now, say it with me.....

Haol-e-luau!

M

Spam saved my life...

When I was 16, I was surfing at Halfmmoon Bay.
Knowing that I would not be able to leave the enormous swells, not even for a moment, I decided to take my lunch out with me (Spam on rye).
Suddenly, as I was waiting to catch the next wave, I noticed a large dark shadow lurking beneath me.
Right then I knew that I was on the menu of a great white shark.
So I paniced... and I did what any sensible 16 year old would do....
I threw my spam sandwich about 15 feet away... Now everyone knows that spam is the number 1 food of chioce for GWS's (and surfers for that matter).
So, while the beast was going for the potted meat... I had enough time to swim back to shore.

Whew.... I was lucky that day.

I'd send that story in to Hormel. Might be worth a free can.

And to paraphrase Adam Sandler...
:music: Respect to the Spam-ma :music:

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-08-01 14:27 ]

M

It's true. I swear...

PJade: How's tiki life in New Orleans?

MTK~
I believe you, really.
And to paraphrase James Teitelbaum...
"There ain't no tiki in New Orleans."

T

On 2003-08-01 16:14, purple jade wrote:
MTK~
I believe you, really.
And to paraphrase James Teitelbaum...
"There ain't no tiki in New Orleans."

LOL.

Actually, I think I said "There ain't no Tiki in Cleveland"...

...and while I am tempted to say it's true for N'awlins too, well, YOU'RE there, PJ. Maybe there are no Tiki Bars in the big easy, but your cool pendants and frequent TC postings remind us that the spirits haven't forsaken the swamps of the south entirely. There is Tiki in New Orleans as long as you are there.

Actually, I think I said "There ain't no Tiki in Cleveland"...

Um, yeah...that's what "paraphrase" means.
(And actually you did say something similar about N.O.)
But thank you for the rest, my skirt is chock-full of sunshine now.

T

If there ain't no tiki in New Orleans, then there definitely, positively, abso-forking-lutely aint no tiki in Toronto.

Well, except for that giant pink Moai...

S

http://www.polyjoes.com/

Polynesian Joe's - 869 Magazine Street - New Orleans

Have only driven by, but perhaps they have a tiki or 2, or not.....

suzywong wrote:
Have only driven by, but perhaps they have a tiki or 2, or not.....

Suzy~
I would guess probably not...

Yeah, they do have "Polynesian" in the name, and after looking at their Photo Gallery, it looks like they have a nicely stacked....er...um...I mean stocked bar, but the bar doesn't seem to look very Polynesian or tropical to me.

Their calendar of events for August & September are only filled with "LA Hardbodies" contests and "Martini Madness"...hardly, or I should say, not very Polynesian to me.

I'm sure the owners won't change anything if they are getting the constant crowd that is pictured in their gallery. It's probably a good Mardi Gras/Girls Gone Wild location.

Stop by next time if you can. Maybe there are some hidden tikis? See if they can mix a Mai Tai. You can report on it in the Locating Tiki Forum. Even a psuedo-tiki location needs a report so any of us traveling know whether or not it's worth the stop.

Good eye though in catching the sign and name while driving by.

D

What kind of heathen place is this? Drinks served out of plastic cups. Eeee Gads!

S

Hi SugarCaddyDaddy,
I noticed those pictures in the photo gallery. I didn't check the schedule, but must confess, I read somewhere they had a a "lingerie night" Shudder.....

Perhaps I will break my Puritanical code and go in one day. Actually, I have heard their ads on the radio. And considering they are in the "Warehou$e District, well, they have sand!!!

Maybe there is a tiny tiki with it's eyes tightly closed facing the wall in protest, waiting to be rescued?

T

On 2003-08-04 07:01, suzywong wrote:

You know, between this, Aloha Sharkeez, and that new Tiki Bob's chain, I am going to have to come up with a new ranking on the Tiki Bar Review Pages or future editions of Tiki Road Trip just for these places (get ready for another 80's movie reference) - THE FINGER!

What do we call these places?

Fratiki (Frat - Tiki)?
No, I don't want to sully the holy word Tiki mixing it with the anti-Tiki itself: Frat.

Knuckhead Luau? Too clunky.

Any ideas for a convinient word to clearly classify these places?

Constants:

Girls who shout "woooooooo"! a lot, especially when doing a mostly booze-free shot.

Pineapple and grendine "mai-tais".

Lack of Tikis, few that exist afre colorful and cartoony.
Worse: a "party-animal" tiki mascot.

Techno, hip hop, or classic rock DJ.
dB level above 100 (technical term for: TOO LOUD!).

Bikini contests.

Sticky concrete floors, easily hosed down.

M

How about:
Tropnoxious Saloons
Luaud Venues
Hurricane Hell Holes
Imitation Crap Shacks

T

Loser Luaus!

Since they seem to be populated with the Tappa Tappa Kegga crowd, how about "Griki"?

WABETIES
(wah-bee-tees)

"WAnna-BE-TIki-EStablishment"

The sound of this word sounds more like an African word rather than Hawaiian~Polynesian word, but all the more reason why it would be a good name...

African is to Hawaiian~Polynesian as Polynesian Joe's is to The Mai Kai. Each is very distant and non-comparative to one another in every aspect. And one will NEVER be like the other!

Say it with me now...
"WABETIES...WABETIES...WABETIES...WABETIES..."

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

Pages: 1 22 replies