Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Good/Bad?

Pages: 1 5 replies

S

Went again to Home Goods today and, this time, returned with Tiki Farm's Martiki ($12.99) and 3 Ono Lono's ($6.99). They even had, if you can believe it, a Tiki bar!!! Complete with 2 stools - I couldn't come home with that, as it was not cheap, but a Tiki Bar?!?

The good thing, of course, is that Tiki merchandise (at least the new stuff) is finding its way into the mainstream market at a discount! I am wondering if this also a bad thing. Already, some of my sources for Tiki are drying up. I have an antique dealer who makes special effort to find Tiki for me while on buying trips and she says that it is becoming harder and harder to find Tiki items.

John Q. Public is jumping on the Tiki bandwagon and I don't know if I'm

:) or :(

about the whole thing. Might open the market for Tiki, might drive up prices to meet new demand, might stem the flow of vintage Tiki into the market...I'm at a loss...

Oh yeah, I remember this discussion.

For the true purist, mainstream is considered a 'bad' thing, but as you read the posts on the above link, even those that poo-poo the mainstreaming can also easily get caught up in it too. Read on.

D

On 2003-07-30 13:09, scigirl wrote:
Went again to Home Goods today and, this time, returned with Tiki Farm's Martiki ($12.99) and 3 Ono Lono's ($6.99). They even had, if you can believe it, a Tiki bar!!! Complete with 2 stools - I couldn't come home with that, as it was not cheap, but a Tiki Bar?!?

The good thing, of course, is that Tiki merchandise (at least the new stuff) is finding its way into the mainstream market at a discount! I am wondering if this also a bad thing. Already, some of my sources for Tiki are drying up. I have an antique dealer who makes special effort to find Tiki for me while on buying trips and she says that it is becoming harder and harder to find Tiki items.

John Q. Public is jumping on the Tiki bandwagon and I don't know if I'm

:) or :(

about the whole thing. Might open the market for Tiki, might drive up prices to meet new demand, might stem the flow of vintage Tiki into the market...I'm at a loss...

Where/what is Home goods?

S

Home Goods is a store on the same lines as Marshalls, but they don't do clothes. They get various lots of brand-name goods and sell them at discounted prices. The merchandise may be discountinued models, overstock, etc. But they carry quality stuff, not tat - All the big, higher names in cookware, tableware, furniture, bedding, etc. The frugal, the cheapskates, the newlyweds and the wealthy wanting to hold on to the wealth shop there like fiends.

I shocked the hell out of my wife today when I suggested we go to HomeGoods. Usually she has to drag me in there kicking & screaming. I found the Martiki set ($12.99) and the Dinky set of 4 shots (also $12.99)
If anyone in the Metro-Detroit area is interested, there is another set of each still there... 7th or 8th aisle, past most of the other barware at the John R./14mile rd. location in Madison Hgts.
-Z

S

Wow Feelin' Zombified! Tiki for you and you got to make the wife happy...the Tiki Force is strong....

Pages: 1 5 replies