Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Seen at the flea market

Pages: 1 6 replies

I went to one of the local flea markets this morning (DeAnza for you Bay Area folks). Amidst the countless counterfeit Kate Spade purses, one vendor was selling a number of tiki mugs, all from Harvey's Lake Tahoe. He wanted $14 for the Sneaky Tikis, $22 for the small scorpion bowls, and $8 for the highball-sized mugs with brown glaze on the inside. Are these the going prices for Harvey's mugs these days? They seemed a bit steep (and I have a few of these already), so I didn't buy any.

I spotted a number of Tiki Farm and McPhee mugs at several stores in Chinatown last week. I can't remember exactly where; they were in the quasi-touristy shops on Grant.

:sheckymug:

D

those prices are a little low, compared to what i've been seeing in antique stores here in northern calif. the sellers at the hawaiian event in pleasanton a few weeks ago were charging double the de anza prices.

at least you got to see some tikis~ i went thrifting in salinas..a tiki/aloha shirt bermuda triangle!

If you're in the Bay Area, try the local Goodwills. I've picked up a few of the Harvey's glasses for about $5 and even found bamboo serving trays, and an excellent 12 inch Fiji outrigger boat for my office for around $6. It's worth the look if you have the time.

"I went to one of the local flea markets this morning. Amidst the countless counterfeit Kate Spade purses..."

Get a load of this one: I went to The Great Indoors over the weekend and saw shelves FULL of counterfeit Tiki Leilani mugs! They even had a matching pitcher. Geez, of all mugs to counterfeit, they had to pick this one. Aren't there already 3 versions or so of this mug???? (Tiki Leilani, Hawaiian Inn, Orchids of Hawaii, etc.)

M

Here's a lead on some mugs: On Saturday I was at the Guernville Flea Market, and there was one woman there selling about 22 of the Harvey's brown giant highball glasses (shiny brown glaze on the inside/rough on the outside- you know what I'm talking about) Anyway, I bought 10 of them for EIGHT DOLLARS!!! Yow! I should have bought them all I suppose and put them on ebay, but that's bad tiki karma as far as I'm concerned. I say, better to leave some for other maniacs to find. I doubt that anyone else came along, so she'll probably be there next weekend. That, and an old Arthur Lyman's Greatest Hits LP were it for me at that market, so I wouldn't reccommend crawling through that market every weekend.

I have a dream...that one day, there will be a woman with 22 suffering bastards for eight dollars. Until then, good luck to all.

-martin

T

martiki wrote:
"Anyway, I bought 10 of them for EIGHT DOLLARS!!! Yow! I should have bought them all I suppose and put them on ebay, but that's bad tiki karma as far as I'm concerned. I say, better to leave some for other maniacs to find."

Yes! May the tiki gods smile on you and may you always have good luck. Last time I was at the flea market I didn't buy a green Sneaky Tiki mug as I already have one. I didn't even ask the price.

M

I have a dream...that one day, there will be a woman with 22 suffering bastards for eight dollars. Until then, good luck to all.
-martin

"I had a dream, I had an awsome dream."

Boy, that Lionel could catch a prhase! Awww, I'd be happy with one little bastard.

midnite

Pages: 1 6 replies