Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Definitely not Trader Vics Tiki !!

Pages: 1 2 replies

A gal at work that knows I collect Tiki, then again - who doesn't know at work, told me she saw these wonderful "tiki poles" in Pigeon Forge, TN - about 20 minutes from where Swanky and I live. I grilled her about this for several minutes as I'm sure you all know that non-collectors often steer you towards the Aztec, Indian or African carvings. This gal was the same one that I sent on a quest to Trader Vic's London to score some pics for me while on her vacation. I thought that might just clue her in on "what's tiki".

Well, after seeming offended by my 20+ questions she said "Listen, they look like the poles that I saw at Trader Vic's London". This got my attention so today I had a rare day off during the week so I took advantage of the opportunity and went to seek out what I thought was going to be an amazing find!!

This is what I went there for!!!

You can imagine my dissapointment. I knew this is what it would be. Oh well, I decided to take advantage of the day and do some antiquing since I've never been to these shops. I'm glad I did. Here's what I came home with. I believe this Tiki is a Witco but I'm not sure. Also Kahiki swizzles and a Trader Vics mug:

Here's a great meneheune that I'll probably go back and get - I couldn't decide on it. It was $14.50

Also found tons of floats! This color stood out to me - again, will probably check with Swanky and then go back to purchase - $30 price tag for this one.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2003-07-30 14:59 ]

TK~

I can't quite tell what the carving is, but it resembles a Witco. I, for one, can't say for sure, but...

That menehune! Cool! It's even a CARVING menehune right? Is that a chisel in his hand? If you don't want it, and do go back, I'd be happy to pay you for it!

M

That totem pole looks to be made from the masks of Mexican Wrestlers!

99% sure that tiki is a Witco. Nice find.

I'm with SCD- that menehune is great. I love that he's holding a tiki.

Can't tell how big that float is, but it looks like a good price if it's about 12" across.

Pages: 1 2 replies