Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Great Book About Tikis!

Pages: 1 9 replies

Any book lovers (not comic books)in TC? I just finished "PALISADES PARK" by Alan Brennert - EXCELLENT! Tikis, high diving, amusement parks, carnival barkers, World War II. A must read if you are planning to build a tiki bar or carve a tiki. Lots of history in it. See Chapters 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, 19, 23 and many more. PLEASE! Somebody make a movie of this book! Get out on a beach chair and READ!

Thanks for the reminder. That one's been on my list for a while, I'll have to bump it up - I didn't realize it had Tiki in it, too.

He also has a couple "historical fiction" type books that take place in Hawaii. "Molokai" is very good, though not exactly a barrel of laughs. I haven't read "Honolulu" yet.

S

Hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. A real page turner, that I was sorry to finish.
What a surprise to find so many tikis in it.

I did a very daring - perhaps dumb - thing: I bought a book based on someone else's review...and enthusiasm. Yet this is one time in my life that my hunch payed out. "Palisades Park" is an excellent book. I haven't finished it yet - I'm about 3/4 of the way through - but so far, it's been a great read. Glad I bought it. Thanks, swizzledd!

PP

On the recommendation of everyone here I just bought the book on Amazon for 1.99 !!! cant wait to start reading it!! thanks all!!

paul

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2015-06-16 17:13 ]

K

Strangely, I just happened to have this book. I picked it up somewhere for $1.00. I have a rather huge PILE of books to read, but I moved this one up after seeing this thread and am reading it now.

On 2015-05-31 11:34, swizzledd wrote:
Any book lovers (not comic books)in TC? I just finished "PALISADES PARK" by Alan Brennert - EXCELLENT!

Ironically, Brennert was a comic book writer in the eighties. :)

Good stuff, though, yes.

-BCM

Just finished his book Moloka'i. What a story! Now THAT should be made into a movie. The downside, of course, is that it IS a story about a leper colony...

If it is a book written by Hilde Eynikel then it was made into a great movie that I highly recommend. You can get the DVD on Amazon which is entitled: Molokai: The Story of Father Damien. Many stars, Peter O'Toole, Sam Neill, Kris Kristofferson and many more. Was to star Daniel Day Lewis as the lead but because of a back injury, a relatively unknown David Wenham was casted last minute. David later became known from his stint on "Lord of the Rings". This film wasn't pushed hard to the public because of a limited budget and a big Hollywood studio was about to shoot the same story staring Robin Williams. U.S. distribution was difficult because of the old boy Hollywood network powers. I think because they and others were surprised at the high quality of this film they decided it would be a waste of money and effort to redo a good film so soon.

All tiki film lovers should view this film or at least read the book.

Pages: 1 9 replies