Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Fassionola

Pages: 1 4 replies

M

I have tried to read through all of the topics but there are a bunch on Fassionola and none of them answered a thought I had.

How close does Chambord replicate Fassionola?

A

I've never tasted them side by side, but since fassionola is a syrup and chambourd is a liqueur, I'd guess not very close.

There is also a lot of confusion on what fassionola tasted like at the time it was included in cocktails back in the day. It currently comes in three colors/flavors, but nearly every recipe I've seen doesn't differenciate, which leads me to believe there was just one version originally. From what I can tell, it was a replacement for passion fruit syrup initially, but the red version currently on the market is more of a cherry/raspberry flavor. I think the gold version is supposed to taste more like passion fruit, but that a red-colored version is what was used in those early cocktail recipes. So did the company change the flavor of its red fassionola, and then come out with a gold version with the original flavor? The history is all too murky.

[ Edited by: arriano 2015-06-02 08:55 ]

Here's a link that will give you lots of info
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5331&forum=10

TT

Purchase English's Red Tropical Fruit Mix on EBay. A little goes a long way. Keep refrigerated and it should last a long time.

On 2015-06-03 21:22, Tonga Tiki wrote:
Purchase English's Red Tropical Fruit Mix on EBay. A little goes a long way. Keep refrigerated and it should last a long time.

I've also found that you can make your own that works just as well with Hurricane Hayward's recipe of equal parts raspberry syrup and grenadine (use hibiscus to make it extra-extra red, like the real deal) with a dash of orange peel tincture. You can make up all three of those, mix them to make a small batch of fassionola, and still have some of each leftover to use for other things.

Pages: 1 4 replies