Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Fixing Polyurethane Cloudiness?

Pages: 1 4 replies

I had a trim board all carved up (hours of routing into it) and put a second coat of polyurethane on it last night at dusk. I woke up this morning and it had tried with a white cloudiness to it. I realize now that it was too humid last night and condensation must have settle on it before it dried.

Any good solutions for fixing this? Being that its all carved, there are tons of nooks and crannies...plus I carved the rough side of the cedar board, so I don't think sanding it is a great idea either since I want the surface of the board to match the others.

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2015-06-15 06:30 ]

On 2015-06-15 06:29, jimsflies wrote:
I had a trim board all carved up (hours of routing into it) and put a second coat of polyurethane on it last night at dusk. I woke up this morning and it had tried with a white cloudiness to it. I realize now that it was too humid last night and condensation must have settle on it before it dried.

Any good solutions for fixing this? Being that its all carved, there are tons of nooks and crannies...plus I carved the rough side of the cedar board, so I don't think sanding it is a great idea either since I want the surface of the board to match the others.

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2015-06-15 06:30 ]

Hey JF! I've had that happen to me in the past using spar urethane outside on my tiki bar top. I've had success with giving it a light sand with super fine grit paper, after it's fully cured, and painting on another layer of poly. I usually get some clouding over time on the bar top because of the rain/snow all year long, and a good sand/reapplication of a few fresh layers always did the trick. Wish you much success!

Mahalo!

Thanks!

I picked up some polyurethane stripper at lunch. Hoping it won't take much to remove the fresh poly and just reapply it.

I figured I would update this in case this helps anyone else that has the unfortunate outcome of poly that doesn't dry clear on their trim.

The stripper helped a bit...it didn't seem to want to get it all off. But I got enough removed that I was able to torch the rest off. My trim is extra crispy but at least its not milky white.

sorry to hear you didn't get your desired result, but the good thing about Tiki is that it isn't supposed to be perfect. I've come to the conclusion that if something gets messed up, you make it look like that was your intent to begin with.

Mahalo!

Pages: 1 4 replies