Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Frankie's Tiki Room Missionary's Downfall - extremely tart?

Pages: 1 4 replies

J
Jeje posted on Wed, Jun 17, 2015 9:26 AM

Hello all! First I'd like to excuse for my not so good english. Hope you understand what I'm trying to communicate:-)

After mixing my way through Beachbum Berry's tiki bibles I thought I'd try something else. So I bought the Liquid Vacation-book. I've made a couple of the drinks in the book, and find them on the sweet side. Even the Frankie's version of the Mai Tai is a bit sweeter than the original TV-drink. So when I tried Frankie's version of the Missionary's Downfall I got quite confused because I found it VERY tart. I have no problem with tart drinks in general but this one was undrinkable.

Frankie's MD recipe
2 1-inch cubes pineapple
6 mint leaves
1 oz light rum
0,5 oz peach schnapps
0,5 oz brandy
1,5 oz lime juice

Anyone else who have tried this recipe?
I'm also on the lookout for other versions of Missionary's Downfall, besides the ones in Beachbum's books!

Looks like too much lime and I use Peach Brandy, not Peach Schnapps & Brandy.

I believe I usually use Simple Syrup in mine as well, but I don't have the recipe in front of me.

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2015-06-17 11:17 ]

A

I think a few other things can play a role in how much you enjoy a drink - a small tart or bitter drink can be pleasant, a 'seasonal speciality' drink which is thick, sweet & slightly filling (eg egg nog) can be nice. A large non seasonal sweet, sour or bitter drink isn't much fun for me.

I gained a lot of knowledge from experimenting with the Diaquiri & Planters Punch.

The Daiquiri is small & sour in its traditional ratio is ok with me (if a little boring), the Planters Punch is a bit sweet in its traditional ratio.

So if I make Daiquiris for someone I make them in the traditional ratios, if I make Planters Punch I use:

2 soda water
2 dark Jamaican rum
1 demerara sugar syrup
1 lime juice
2-3 dashes if bitters

(i.e. 1:1 sweet & sour, add a bit of extra flavour from a demerara syrup & rum, reduce the dilution).

From the Frankies Missionary's Downfall recipe in this post, I just wonder where the sweet is to balance the lime. Maybe it's from the brandy & peach schnapps but if that didn't do it for me I'd decrease the lime or add something extra to sweeten it (like sugar syrup).

DTB's Missionary's Downfall is a great drink, I tweak the formula from the Beachbum Berry books to suit my tastes:

1 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz peach brandy
1 oz honey mix (2:1)
2 oz light rum
3 or 4 diced fresh pineapple cubes (approx 1 inch)
6-10 fresh mint leaves

I think it's a great drink like that :)

Jeje, let us know what you think of the other recipes from the Liquid Vacation book, I'd also be interested where you got it from (seeing as you are in Sweden & I've yet to find a European stockist!)

J
Jeje posted on Fri, Jun 19, 2015 3:52 AM

I don't remember where I got the book (Liquid Vacation) from, but it must have been on eBay. I may even have ordered it from eBay in the US.

It is very nicelly illustrated and features a nice colorful photos of the drinks.

The recepies featured are mostly on the sweet side, and some are a bit odd with ingredients like Fanta, Hawaiian Punch and Rockstar energy drink. There are also a lot of recepies that call for different flavoured rums (pineapple, vanilla, citrus, mango etc). This is stuff that's hard to come buy in Sweden and therefore I am unable to make many of the drinks. There are however a few really great more basic drinks that I dig: Don Q Sack is a really nice drink featuring sherry and guava juice. Kahiki Kai is also really nice but it's basically a liguid coconut/banana/pineapple-dessert.

Good comments, jeje, especially about the colorful photos. For me, books lead me to test and make notes, as every book has drinks I like and don't like.

Try the Frankie's Fink Bomb - you may enjoy how the ingredients can be nicely layered, especially if you make slowly over, and serve it with, a round ice ball. The taste is pretty good as well.

Pages: 1 4 replies