Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Whaler's Vanille rum? Have anyone tried it?

Pages: 1 3 replies

J
Jeje posted on Fri, Jun 19, 2015 6:03 AM

Hello! I'm mixing my way through Liquid Vacation by P Moss. Many of the recipes feature flavoured rums, and one recipe that I am really interested in trying is Ginja Ninja. Only one problem, the recipe calls for Whaler's Vanille Rum, a product impossible to buy in Sweden. Sadly, flavoured rums are in general hard to find here in the land of vodka and beer.

So does anyone know what Whaler's Vanillie Rum tastes like? Vanilla and rum I presume, but how sweet is it? Can I put a vanilla bean in a bottle of rum and get something similar?

Aloha Jeje, I've never tried the Whaler's Vanilla Rum, But as someone who prefers to infuse their own rums at home, I can tell you making your own will probably give you a better result anyway. Here's a link on simple vanilla infused rum to try. I also have the Liquid Vacation book, and it has some really great recipes, and some amazing photos in it. There are a lot of new ingredients for drinks listed in there, but I'm working on gathering a lot of them myself still. My favorites in the book presently are the Kahiki Kai and the Fink Bomb. Good luck!

http://www.rumtherapy.com/2010/11/making-your-own-vanilla-rum/

Jeje, in a way, you are fortunate that flavored rums are hard to find in your country -- the American market is flooded with many low-grade flavored rums. But we do have a good selection of high-end rums. And we appreciate the excellent beers which originate in your country.

I don't know what Whaler's Vanillie Rum tastes like, but it is fairly easy to find in the United States. I do have a couple thoughts for you:

1. Yes - consider putting TWO vanilla beans in a good bottle of rum (Pusser's comes to mind because it also has a very good aroma) and after a couple of days or weeks you may get something quite good even if not entirely similar to Whaler's.
  2. Bacardi produces Seven Tiki (origin: Fiji) which is a spiced rum which is heavy on the vanilla. If this is available, and before you try making your own vanilla rum, you could acquire a small bottle of this product and try it.
  3. You may find Whaler's by mail from online liquor sellers in other European countries, although a quick search just now did not turn anything up, so deeper searching is required.

Another thought -- you may also look up the Zen Tiki Lounge podcast web site and find "Sunshine's Spiced Rum" recipe. You will find pretty good directions on flavoring rum with vanilla beans.

I'm not sure that helps you, but I do send best wishes for success with your quest!

J
Jeje posted on Sat, Jun 20, 2015 12:20 AM

Thank you for your help. I'll try to make some DIY Vanilla Rum then. Sounds like a simple fun project.

Pages: 1 3 replies