Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 6-17-15 Richard Rodgers

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: June 17, 2015

On today’s show we celebrated the righteous and regal career of Richard Rodgers, who was born in Queens, New York, on June 28, 1902, and who is justly famed for his creative collaborations with the lyricists Lorenz Hart and Oscar Hammerstein II.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Thou Swell,” composed by Rodgers and Lorenz Hart for the 1927 Broadway musical: A Connecticut Yankee, recorded in 1928 by Fats Waller, who plays the organ on this cut, taken from his bodacious Box Set: Handful of Keys.

2. “There's a Small Hotel,” written by Rodgers & Hart for the 1936 movie: On Your Toes and used in the 1957 movie version of Pal Joey, performed in 1937 in London by Benny Carter & His Orchestra, with Mr. Carter on Vocal and Trumpet, found on his brilliant Box Set: Benny Carter – The Music Master.

3. “I Didn't Know What Time It Was” also inked by Rodgers & Hart for the 1939 Broadway musical: Too Many Girls, recorded in 1949 on the ambitious album: Charlie Parker with Strings, by the Alto Sax Legend Charlie Parker with Ray Brown on Bass and Buddy Rich on Drums.

4. “Johnny One Note,” another Rodgers & Hart composition from the 1938 Broadway musical: Babes in Arms, from the 1956 loquacious LP: Devil May Care by Bob Dorough, who appears on Vocals and Piano, with Warren Fitzgerald on Trumpet, Jack Hitchcock on Vibes, Bill Takas on Bass and Jerry Segal on Drums.

5. “Wait Till You See Her,” also by Rodgers & Hart for the 1942 Broadway musical titled: By Jupiter, from the 1956 LP: Blossom Dearie, with Miss Dearie on Vocal and Piano, Herb Ellis on Electric Guitar, Ray Brown on Bass and Jo Jones on Drums.

6. “My Heart Stood Still,” also by Rodgers & Hart for the 1927 Broadway musical: A Connecticut Yankee, waxed by the Bop Piano genius Bud Powell from his 1956 outstanding album: Blues in the Closet, with Ray Brown on Bass and Osie Johnson on Drums.

7. “Blue Moon,” written by Rodgers & Hart for the 1934 movie: Manhattan Melodrama and later used in the 1948 movie: Words and Music, sung here by Mel Torme and found on his celluloidal CD: At the Movies.

8. “Hello Young Lovers,” the Rodgers & Hammerstein classic from the 1951 musical: The King and I, recorded by the arranger Bob Thompson on his 1959 erotical enveloping LP: Mmm Nice! featuring Don Fagerquist on Trumpet, Red Callendar on Tuba and Ted Nash on Flute.

9. “My Romance,” the Rodgers & Hart song from the 1935 Broadway musical: Jumbo, sung by Joy Bryan on her 1961 LP: Make the Man Love Me, with Wynton Kelly on Piano; Al Viola on Electric Guitar, Leroy Vinnegar on Bass and Frank Butler on Drums.

10. “Little Girl Blue,” also composed by Rodgers & Hart for Jumbo, performed by the Ukulele master Lyle Ritz on his sweet CD called: Time – Ukulele Jazz With Bass, Drums and Percussion, including Byron Yasui on Bass and Noel Okimoto on Vibes.

11. “People Will Save We're in Love,” written by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II for the 1943 Broadway musical: Oklahoma, sung by Tierney Sutton accompanied by Trey Henry on Bass, found on her collusive compact disc: I’m With the Band.

12. “Surrey With the Fringe on Top,” also from Oklahoma, played by the master composer, arranger and pianist Mary Lou Williams on her 1977 recording: Live at the Keystone Korner, which was a famous jazz club in in San Francisco, with Larry Gates on Bass and Eddie Marshall on Drums.

13. “The Lady Is a Tramp,” the Rodgers & Hart composition from the 1937 musical: Babes in Arms, sung by Mark Murphy on his 1959 LP: This Could Be the Start of Something Big, with the orchestra conducted and arranged by Bill Holman, who also appears on Tenor Sax, including Jimmy Rowles on Piano, Pete & Conte Candoli on Trumpets, Bob Gibbons on Electric Guitar, Joe Mondragon on Bass, Mel Lewis on Drums and Carlos Mejia on Conga Drums.

14. “You Took Advantage of Me,” the Rodgers & Hart song from their 1928 Broadway musical: Present Arms, waxed by the singer Toni Harper on 1956 labial LP: Toni. With the Oscar Peterson Quartet, with Mr. Peterson on Piano, Herb Ellis on Electric Guitar, Ray Brown on Bass and Alvin Stoller on Drums.

15. “Where or When,” composed by Rodgers & Hart from the 1938 Broadway show: Babes in Arms, drawn from the 1951 abrumative album: Moonlight in Vermont With the Johnny Smith Quintet, featuring Mr. Smith on Electric Guitar, Stan Getz on Tenor Sax, Sanford Gold on Piano, Eddie Safranski on Bass and Don Lamond on Drums.

16. “With a Song in My Heart,” written by our dynamic duo Rodgers & Hart for the 1929 Broadway musical: Spring Is Here, found on the 1954 landmarkable LP: The Three and the Two, featuring Russ Freeman on Piano and Shelly Manne on Drums.

Pages: 1 0 replies