Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Resurrection of the Hawaiian Room

Pages: 1 8 replies

M

Hey Tiki frizeeks,
A friend of mine took me to this little neighborhood tiki bar about 3 years ago. Since then, I have frequented the place on numerous occasions.
I don't know the history of the venue, other than the current owners have been there since the 80's.

This little tiki room is rapidly becomming a sinking ship wreck. The decor is still present,(2 tikies and numerous lamps), yet it is dilapidated and run down. Many beer signs and advertisements plague the aging tapa covered walls. The side bar houses an in door grill and various karioke monitors (yikes).

This is my idea. For one night,and one night only, I would like to transform this old relic into a beautiful tiki luxury liner.
The owners and bartenders are very supportive of the event and would give me full decorating freedom.
Cost would be relatively minimum since I would be using any available tiki's that I can find.

Give me your thoughts. Thumbs up or thumbs down... or am I drinking way to much kava?

Hawaiian Room
Bellflower, CA (btwn. Los Angeles & Lakewood)
Sat. Sept 20, 2003

:tiki:

http://www.shutterfly.com/view/pictures.jsp?aid=67b0de21b39a0208e465

[ Edited by: MTKahuna on 2003-08-01 12:24 ]

[ Edited by: MTKahuna on 2003-08-05 09:40 ]

MT! Sorry I couldn't make it over there with you last night. Did any other TC'ers go?

Anyway, first off, the neon beer signs really have to go. I understand the business of keeping both alcohol reps and bar owners happy, but if I was the bar owner the only neon I'd ever consider is the "Tiki Central Open 24 Hours" logo (hey!...hmmm..)

I'll help any way I can as my schedule permits.

I do see the big picture here that I'm sure you are going for....Get the owners to transform the Hawaiian Room as it really should be, get alot of people there the one night (as a starter), get them excited about the place, show the owners that, with the right amount of changes, the place could be very popular and get them to make the hawaiian room, well, THE HAWAIIAN ROOM!

I'm in!

SugarCaddyDaddy's SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule!

[ Edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2003-08-01 17:17 ]

S
seamus posted on Fri, Aug 1, 2003 2:33 PM

Wow!
This place looks cool. If you are able to get the ball rolling on some basic restoration I would be willing to donate a couple of Tikis to the cause.(Feel free to Email me about this) Keep trying to rally the troops. I'm sure you can get a few to help out. The fact that the owners are supportive is a very good sign. Most don't care. Good Luck!

M

The more the merrier...

SCD: I sent out an email to a couple of TC'ers, but was brutely rebuffed. :)
Actually, I think I sent it out to late.
Hey man, isn't your b-day around the same time? (saw it on your calendar).

Seamus: Wow.. Thanks, I'll keep you posted brah.

[ Edited by: MTKahuna on 2003-08-01 16:29 ]

[ Edited by: MTKahuna on 2003-08-01 16:30 ]

Wow, the tapa on the walls look really nice.

The PacMan machine should go too.

I can really see it. The bamboo even looks as though there's carving to it. Very nice.

Good luck in convincing the owners to spend some time and money. Have they checked out the BOT yet?

M

Tiki_Kiliki: Good idea,I will show them the BOT.

I was in your neck of the woods last week. I had a blast at the Omni hut and found some great treasures at the Nashville Flea market.

I'd love to help out! I don't have much experience, but would be excited to help transform the Hawaiian Room back "into a beautiful tiki luxury liner."

I think some shelves decorated with Vintage Tiki Mugs (behind the bar, of course) would enhance the decor' of the place. We've all got duplicates of some of the more common mugs out there. If some of the TC'ers will donate a mug, or two, I think it would help. The Tiki Bar at the Venetian here in Las Vegas has adapted this idea and I think it's great.

M

On 2003-08-03 11:02, vegastikidude wrote:
I think some shelves decorated with Vintage Tiki Mugs (behind the bar, of course) would enhance the decor' of the place. We've all got duplicates of some of the more common mugs out there. If some of the TC'ers will donate a mug, or two, I think it would help. The Tiki Bar at the Venetian here in Las Vegas has adapted this idea and I think it's great.

Cool idea

UtopianD: I appreciate it. I'll send you an email.
:tiki:

Pages: 1 8 replies