Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Hawaiian Music 24/7 on Ho`olohe Hou Radio

Pages: 1 0 replies

I have come back to this forum from time to time to alert my Hawaiian music-loving friends about my blog devoted to the preservation of Hawaiian music - Hoolohe Hou. Well, now Hoolohe Hou the blog is Ho`olohe Hou Radio - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, featuring primarily out of print recordings from my archives of more than 25,000 sides of Hawaiian music dating back to 1906. Although the station has been operating since January 2nd, I officially launched the station - and a Kickstarter campaign - on July 3rd, the 80th anniversary of the first broadcast of Hawaii Calls.

This is not just music purely for entertainment's sake. This is an exciting new experiment in Hawaiian music edutainment. Each hour brief educational pieces will celebrate an artist or composer and their importance to the history and evolution of Hawaiian music. For example, all day today the station will feature segments on...

• ...the July 7, 1930 sessions by Jimmie Rodgers featuring Lani McIntire and the steel guitar of Bob Nichols

• ...the July 7, 1955 sessions by Alfred Apaka and the Hawaiian Village Serenaders with Jules Ah See (sessions which have never been reissued in the digital era)

• ...the first Hawaii Calls orchestra led by Harry Owens with Alvin Kaleolani Isaacs and the steel guitar of Freddie Tavares

Plus throughout the month of July the station will celebrate the 80th anniversary of Hawaii Calls and the steel guitars of David Kelii, Jake Keliikoa, Jules Ah See, Barney Isaacs, Danny Stewart, and Eddie Pang and the voices of Haunani Kahalewai, Alfred Apaka, Pua Almeida, Ed Kenney, Poncie Ponce, Hilo Hattie, Nina Keali`iwahamana, Benny Kalama, Sonny Nicholas, and Sonny Kamahele.

Listen to Ho`olohe Hou Radio for any random half-hour, and you will no doubt hear one of your favorites that you are not likely to hear anywhere else (and maybe an artist you have never heard before).

A century of Hawaiian music and Hawai`i's entertainers at your fingertips... Here's hoping you appreciate and enjoy this new endeavor in Hawaiian music edutainment. And if you do, I hope you will consider your pledge of support.

Thanks! Mahalo!

Bill Wynne

Listen Here (http://www.live365.com/stations/hwnmusiclives)

Pledge Here* (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hwnmusiclives/ho-olohe-hou-radio)

(*There is also a short video about Ho`olohe Hou Radio's mission and how the funding will be used.)

Pages: 1 0 replies