Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Who is your wireless service provider?

Pages: 1 20 replies

F

I am trying out a Verizon phone for a couple of weeks. I am deciding whether or not to switch from Sprint to Verizon. It seems that there are a good number of Verizonites among the Hoitis, and that could be useful in terms of mobile-to-mobile minutes.

Verizon is pretty cool because they let you try out the service for 15 days. If you don't like it or want to change your plan or equipment, you can do so within that time period.

I got the phone with the camera, but I don't know if I really need it. Sprint has a camera phone with a flash on it. The new Verizon one doesn't have that. I couldn't shoot any pix in the Lava Lounge the other night, man!

Cary and I are on Verizon - and King Kuke is too.

We're reasonably happy with their service. When my phone stopped working up here in Vegas and I was literally stranded - they replaced my phone for free under the warrantee.

HH

verizon- there grrrrreeaaat!

F

Sprint has raised the cost of their "Vision" plan to $55.00. The website says $50.00, but the guys in the Sprint store told me that it went up to $55.00.

That gives me

300 "anytime minutes"
1000 nighttime and weekend minutes
Unlimited instant messaging AOL and Yahoo
Unlimited web access
Unlimited pictures

Verizon plan
$39.99
400 domestic minutes from anywhere to anywhere with no roaming or long distance charges

It appears that all the bells and whistles relating to web access and pictures are a la carte items and you pay for only the ones you want to use. Picture mail is $2.99 a month and mobile web is $4.99 and month.

With Sprint it looks as if they just charge you for the whole damn thing up front and get it over with.

I've got to find my Verizon propaganda to check out the other costs. Who knows, it may not cost much less in the long run. I am happy with Sprint's reception, etc., and they are first with the newest and niftiest gadgets.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-08-01 15:41 ]

M

Sprint has been a good choice for us. We use a dual band phone and pay about $35.00 p/month. Just used it on our trip to DC and it worked great.

T

Verizon for me!

:tiki:

F

I took this lovely picture of a Ku (sitting on my desk at work) taken with the camera phone:

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-08-02 15:54 ]

can you hear me now?

I use Verizon, excellent service on your phone, wether you lose it or it stops working or whatever, they'll have your back.

can you hear me now?

Good.

I use Verizon, no complaints, they even gave me the last four digits that I requested.

AT&T ... no choice, it's my "leash" from my boss. He likes to have 24 hour access to all his managers. You know, for all those floral emergencies.

Recently he went golfing and he said his entire party was standing around on the green, leaning on their golf clubs and talking on their cell phones. I think this phenomenon is getting out of hand!

P.S. I get terrible reception with AT&T. If you're standing behind an anthill you get dropped.

Cellular phones are a plot by space aliens to read our thoughts!

T

Tina

Let me say that I despise cell phones, but I finally just got one in April for use on my big road trip adventure to the west coast that month. I got a Sprint phone. First of all, the display in the store said $30 per month. After I signed the papers and commmited to the plan, the person on the customer service line that I had to talk to in order to get activated told me it was $35 - again, this was after it was too late to back out. Not a HUGE deal, but sort of lame. Then, after I got my first bill, I found out there are also $13 worth of taxes per month that no one told me about. So now my bill is almost $50 per month, - if I don't go over my minutes alotment - when I thought I was getting in for $30.

That said, I get coverage almost everywhere.

The voice mail is buggy - some times I get like 5 days worth of messages all arriving at once. Lame.

And - your choice of the camera will do you more good than you think. Knowing you the little bit that I do, I will not hesitate to conjecture that you'll be posting pictures of all of the hoity toities getting hammered on a regular basis, in real time, mere minutes after any given mai tai-induced blackmail situation occurs. That's a good thing for us islanders stuck on the lonely and isloated shores of lake Michigan.
:)

On 2003-08-01 21:50, Atomic Cocktail wrote:

They know our thoughts,they just want to trace us, where we are thinkin em.

DZ

Z-Girl and I are both on Verizon - we love it! I used to have AT&T and I agree with CruzinTiki: the quality was so poor that I could literally lose reception simply by turning around! I don't think I've ever lost a call with Verizon.

On 2003-08-01 23:58, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2003-08-01 21:50, Atomic Cocktail wrote:

They know our thoughts,they just want to trace us, where we are thinkin em.

yes actually, it was a cost effective solution for them. no longer do they have to ndo nocturnal abductions and implant sensors in our arms.

T

Futura Girl, you got your sensor implanted in your arm? But that's not the traditional alien abduction implant/probing location......

Ahhhhh! Anal probe!!!

W

I have AT&T and am completely unimpressed. Reception's fine but I cut out on people all the time. Signal coverage is spotty all around Seattleville. Customer service is lousy...Lots of button pressing just to get to a real person who then asks for all the information I just button pressed and then can rarely answer a question without 5-10 minutes of consultation with a manager and/or transferring me (up to 3 times) to another department where I have to give all the information again. Fortunately I have a 1 year contract and it ends in November. This thread came along just in time.

F

I went back to the Sprint store to check out the camera phone with the flash. It is not a super bright flash or anything, but it does give a little help so's you can get a picture or two in the Lava Lounge, for example. The guy in the store told me that they are coming out with a couple more camera phones with flash in the next few months. With all my luck, Verizon will come out with one a week after I sign the agreement.

Woofmutt, wh...di..y..ay...out.....AT&.....it's always breaking up......can you...ar...m....ow? AT&T sucks.

Check out this interesting story. Turns out you can use the camera phone for more than taking photos of collectibles at antique shops for TC inquiries...

http://www.msnbc.com/news/946976.asp?0cl=cR

Pages: 1 20 replies