Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

roof pitch

Pages: 1 8 replies

TP

Designers/builders, I am in the process of building myself a 8' x 12' shed that I will be turning into a small backyard tiki lounge. I was wondering if any of you had an opinion on what roof pitch I should use that would help create the right tiki vibe? Weather is not an issue here. I can't go extreme like an A-frame because of the area and budget but I was wondering if 6/12 would work? Any advice is appreciated

Hi,

Congrats on your future build. It really depends on the look you want; nothing but an A-frame is an A-frame, and a 6/12 is a pretty typical pitch for a home, but it definitely works. For a traditional Hut look, steeper is better. Personally, because I want high ceilings and a sleeping/lounge loft, I am going more Tiki Modern; low slope roof with a big overhang over a small deck. Instead of a full traditional Hut or Shack, you end up with a Mid Century Modern look. Carved beams, and even a large fishing float hanging over the deck, can really add to the Tiki feel.

Just my thoughts. Cheers!

I struggled a bit with roof design as well. I went with a smallish A frame that slopes front to back. I ended up with an architecturally unique roof without it dominating the property.

For me, it was a challenge to build due to all the different angles.

TP

I am going with a 6/12 so as to not stand out too much from the surrounding houses and to keep the peak height down. It will look tiki though with the touches I have planned. Thanks for the advice.

I always eye ball it! Whatever looks good at the moment. :wink: Pretend there are no rules....

K

i went a pretty simple 6/12, it looks fine from all angles

TP

Thank you Kevco. That looks great. This is what I decided to do. It's a 5/12 to keep the peak height down and I angled the front gable to create what I call an outrigger peak. Not sure of the official name. Lot's of work still to do!

I flame treated and varnished the facia before I put the roof sheeting on

[ Edited by: Tiki Phil 2015-07-30 14:55 ]

TP

One more shot just to show how the lower roof pitch can still look tiki with the right touches

K
Kevco posted on Mon, Aug 17, 2015 2:11 PM

O like the outrigger style of the gable, very cool! I'm going to keep that in mind for my next project.

Pages: 1 8 replies