Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Question about Mauna Loa Detroit items....

Pages: 1 7 replies

As I'm learning about the tiki culture, I can't seem to figure something out. Why are items from the Mauna Loa in Detroit so valuable? Anyone help me out on this one?

U

It was a very lavish restaurant that opened in 1967 and was only opened for a few years. Their mugs were very distinct and hard to find. Others may be able to add more info on the subject.

I've noticed they are definitely unique... and I love the Detroit Tigers, but those prices are up there.

U

Supply and demand?

i recall they werent even open for a full year but i could be wrong

The covers for the menus I've seen are amazing... some of the best menu art ever.

The Mauna Loa is one of the true legends in the story of the Polynesia restaurant craze that reached it's peak in the early to mid 60s in the U.S. When it opened in 1967 the cost of the construction was rumored to be nearly a million and a half dollars. Today we only have a few grainy images of what parts of the interior looked like and a few descriptions of the same. There are also some renderings and photos of the exterior. Being that the Mauna Loa was only opened for a short time items such as the mugs and menus didn't get defused like other restaurants that were opened much longer. So with limited information about the restaurant and the small amount of mugs and other artifacts make them a rare find. A true legend wrapped in a little bit of mystery makes for a rare and sought after collectible treasure and keeps people like me on the hunt.

Here is a link with some good info on the Mauna Loa

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4786&forum=2

^^^^ da man!

Pages: 1 7 replies