Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

bugs eating my tiki!

Pages: 1 18 replies

N

some kind of bugs are eating my 8ft palm marq and turning it into saw dust slowly but surely. any solutions?

Put it in a walk in freezer till it freezes thru.
A few days/week.

N

sure just so happens I have one right here...said nobody ever LOL

Freezer is the best. OR - You can place it in a large garbage bag, set off a bug bomb, and seal the bag with the bug bomb and tiki inside. Wait 24/48 hours before opening the bag. These are tricks to kills the pests - does not mean they will stay away. If you have the tiki outside the bugs may return.

I had one awhile back that I placed into the empty trash dumpster. Filled it with water and poured a container of bleach and let it sit for a day. A bug killer concentrate would work too!

N

Folks....this is 8ft long. Very heavy. Nobody is lifting it into a dumpster and I've never seen a bag that big

Three questions before I start rambling:

#1 How long ago was the tiki carved?

#2 Is this the first time they have dusted up on that tiki since you owned it?

#3 Brought any new bamboo pieces into your place a few months before the tiki started dusting?

Buzzy Out!

T

On 2015-07-20 11:12, nomeus wrote:
Folks....this is 8ft long. Very heavy. Nobody is lifting it into a dumpster and I've never seen a bag that big

I don't know what you want people to say, click your heals together and say bug go away?
They have told you some ideas with no idea of how big your tiki is.
And heck yeah there is a 100 foot bag if you want it, it's called Visqueen and you
bag it yourself with duck tape.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/N-5yc1v/Ntk-All/Ntt-visqueen?otn=true&wxsOverride=true

N

my first post...

On 2015-07-20 02:33, nomeus wrote:
some kind of bugs are eating my 8ft palm marq and turning it into saw dust slowly but surely. any solutions?

8ft palm but really...how many people can say they either have or have access to a walk in freezer that they would even bother loading up a huge, heavy piece of dead palm tree and stuff it in a freezer?

N

On 2015-07-20 13:24, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Three questions before I start rambling:

#1 How long ago was the tiki carved?

#2 Is this the first time they have dusted up on that tiki since you owned it?

#3 Brought any new bamboo pieces into your place a few months before the tiki started dusting?

Buzzy Out!

like a year ago give or take... i have it outside in a shed. ill just set off some bombs inside the shed close to it. should be fine

You could try a gallon of kerosene & a road flare?
plus then you get the benefit of that cool Witco burnt wood look.

T

I got a six foot palm tiki and it's very lite, Soooo.

But think about how bugs are killed.
You know it's going to take them being surrounded by or immersed in
something that will kill them.

Just bag the thing and bomb it.
you don't even need to lift it just roll it onto the plastic and tape, bomb.

T
N

On 2015-07-20 17:28, tikiskip wrote:
I got a six foot palm tiki and it's very lite, Soooo.

But think about how bugs are killed.
You know it's going to take them being surrounded by or immersed in
something that will kill them.

Just bag the thing and bomb it.
you don't even need to lift it just roll it onto the plastic and tape, bomb.

this thing ways a ton...not sure why but i can barely even drag it and its been in the shed for about a year so it should be dry

N

On 2015-07-20 16:33, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
You could try a gallon of kerosene & a road flare?
plus then you get the benefit of that cool Witco burnt wood look.

T

"its been in the shed for about a year so it should be dry"

Ok so there you go, close shed, bomb the crap out of it.
You just need two bombs instead of one.

Could be beatles could be termites could be something entirely different. Placing it in the shed and setting off bug bombs will work. Seal up any large holes in the shed so that the pesticide can have time to "soak" in. Another trick is to inject boric acid (powder) into any of the bug holes. Boric acid is cheap, easy and safe to humans - and it is extremely deadly to insects! Even if you get a little in the bug hole it is effective (bugs need to touch it or breathe it).

I had a fat black carpenter bee eating my 40 year old palm tiki. I sprayed some Raid in his hole and never saw him again. Then again it was just a single insect, not a colony. Good luck with your quest nomeus

T

On 2015-07-21 09:05, AlohaStation wrote:
Could be beatles could be termites could be something entirely different. Placing it in the shed and setting off bug bombs will work. Seal up any large holes in the shed so that the pesticide can have time to "soak" in. Another trick is to inject boric acid (powder) into any of the bug holes. Boric acid is cheap, easy and safe to humans - and it is extremely deadly to insects! Even if you get a little in the bug hole it is effective (bugs need to touch it or breathe it).

What Aloha said. It really depends on what bugs are in there. For beetles, ants, termites, I use boric acid. I forget the brand, but you can look it up. There are a lot of boric acid pest control products out there. Mine came in a big tub, in powder format. I mix it with water in a spray bottle. Apply it to the tiki.

This will only stop new attacks. It won't reach beetles that are already in there. It probably would kill existing termites and ants since they come and go. I have not seen it work on carpenter bees. For any beetles that are in there already, you'll just have to wait for them to mature and come out. No new ones will want to come back in.

Pages: 1 18 replies