Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Cuban rum back in the US?

Pages: 1 8 replies

It appears that the US and Cuba have buried their hatchet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/us-cuba-diplomatic-relations_55ac7645e4b065dfe89ea12a

While this is a good thing for several obvious reasons, there's also a very positive side-effect for the american tiki-culture. You guys can finally have cuban rums from your local liquor store. The embargo hasn't been dropped yet and it remains unknown what's going to happen with it, but why bother with all of this if you're still forbidding business between the two? Fingers crossed.

[ Edited by: mamelukkikala 2015-07-21 01:58 ]

I read about that. Makes me think of two things:

1 - Try to visit Cuba now before it transforms too much, and take photos.

2 - Be an educated rum buyer. Just because its Cuban doesn't guarantee that it's automatically a good or great rum. As an example, we'll have to wait and see how Havana Club fares against some of the other rums produced on the island(s), and how it stands up to some of the excellent non-Cuban rums which are available in US.

J

I thought it looked familiar, lol!

Our moderators can merge these threads when folks create a duplicate, right?

Hello all!

I'm new here and wanted to find to if there's any good substitute for Havana Club Anejo Reserva while we're waiting for the "redtape" to dissolve to get this amazing rum I've heard about. I've been wanting to try a recipe called Anejo Highball.

A

On 2015-09-01 19:50, barista girl wrote:
Hello all!

I'm new here and wanted to find to if there's any good substitute for Havana Club Anejo Reserva while we're waiting for the "redtape" to dissolve to get this amazing rum I've heard about. I've been wanting to try a recipe called Anejo Highball.

A good substitute would be Flor de CaƱa Gran Reserva

Reminds me of what I posted in this thread back on 7/21:

Be an educated rum buyer. Just because its Cuban doesn't guarantee that it's automatically a good or great rum. As an example, we'll have to wait and see how Havana Club fares against some of the other rums produced on the island(s), and how it stands up to some of the excellent non-Cuban rums which are available in US.

So, having said all that, Havana Club gets pretty high marks, especially for the older aged products. It gets a bit fuzzy when you ask about "what should I sub for Havana Club X." That's some of the fun involved in making our rum-based cocktails.

thank you!

R

While we wait...Just an FYI for anyone who lives up north.

Canada carries Havana Club In BC Liquer stores. They have 3 yr anejo, 7 year and Anejo Reserva. You may have to check store locations to find out who carries the Reserva.

Saw it when I went to get my Lemon Hart...which they also have in spiced which is amazing.

Canadian currency is closely tied to Asian markets...so at the current exchange rate, we get it at a 25% discount...add the legal duty of $2-3 a bottle on top of that and it's still cheap...even cheaper if your rum running across the border.

Just though I would throw it out there since Its not available here yet.

Pages: 1 8 replies