Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Help with stain choice for cypress wood chickee hut

Pages: 1 8 replies

We've had a nice sized chickee hut built in our back yard here in south Florida, to be home of our tiki bar.

The frame and supports are cypress wood and we wantto protect it from the elements. Also would like a nice glossy finish on the wood.

I've researched the topic on the Internet and have found Valspar mcclosky mar o war Spar marine varnish. Any suggestions or other ideas would be most welcome.

[ Edited by: rluvbeach 2015-07-28 09:41 ]

Some pictures of our chickee hut

McClosky spar varnish is good stuff. I suggest test try some on the wood without any stain first, as it really brings out the beauty of the wood, and adds a little bit of a golden honey color.
Also, if you can get Jeff (pjc5150) to see this, he carves a good amount of cypress tikis, and he's in SoFlo too, he may be able to give you some thoughts on this.

Thanks for the reply, looks like just the mcclosky's with no stain is the way we are going to go.

Funny aside, I called valspar for a local supplier and they couldn't find any! In south Florida surrounded by water! Got it on amazon

Our concrete is being poured this weekend...things are happening!

[ Edited by: Rluvbeach 2015-07-30 16:59 ]

[ Edited by: Rluvbeach 2015-07-30 17:00 ]

So the concert has been poured, the surrounding garden fixed up, and the cypress varnished with mcloskys marine varnish, and ceiling fan hung. Now it's time to build a bar, any suggestions would be appreciated

H

On 2015-09-21 12:14, rluvbeach wrote:
...Now it's time to build a bar, any suggestions would be appreciated

Here are a few outdoor Tiki Bars for some inspiration. These were created by members of Tiki Central.

RINCON ROOM:

QUEEN KAMEHAMEHA'S

THE WAIKIKI WOMB

So the concert has been poured, the surrounding garden fixed up, and the cypress varnished with mcloskys marine varnish, and ceiling fan hung. Now it's time to build a bar, any suggestions would be appreciated

Did you mean, Concrete?

Wow thanks for those great pic's

And yes I meant concrete

EJ

On 2015-09-21 13:53, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Did you mean, Concrete?

Yeah....for asking this question you're just about as dense.

Pages: 1 8 replies