Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

4th Annual Fong Fest @ Chef Shangri-La Saturday 9/12 (Still only 5 Bux)-Now w/event pics-pg 2

Pages: 1 30 replies

Howdy & Aloha Folks!

Get ready because here's the line up for this year's "Fong Fest" being held Saturday 9/12 @ the Chef! First up, the poster (artwork once again created by the fabulous Mr. Pete Klockau/Ragbag Comics)...

the tentative schedule times...

Gate opens at Noon

12:30pm - Rick "Elvis" Saucedo & the Ambassadors

2:00pm -The Gin Palace Jesters

3:00pm - The Revomatics

4:00pm - The Amazing Heeby Jeebies

5:00pm - Rumble Train

6:00pm - 13Tikis

7:00pm - The Dyes

8:00pm - Alewife

9:00pm - Barbara Clifford & Shakin' Tail Feathers

The Go-Go Dance Stylings of The Janes and our MC for the event Jason "Java" Croft

There will once again be a Polynesian Market Place with lotsa cool vendors, food & drink specials, plus more surprises as well, and still only $5.00 :o that's right folks $5.00! Guaranteed you will not find this much entertainment packed into one event for a measley 5 bux! Oh yeah and kids under 12 are FREE!

Event will be held Saturday September 12th in the parking lot of the Chef (entire event will be outdoors).Gate will open at 12:00pm with a special performance by the Legendary Rick "Elvis" Saucedo at 12:30pm, bands start at 2:00pm and run thru 10:00pm. No large canopy, tables or chairs will be provided, so we encourage everyone to bring your own pop-up and chairs.

There will also be a FUN charity raffle again this year (with lotsa goodies from the vendors and the bands) and tickets can be purchased the day of the event for $5.00 each or 5 for $20.00. All proceeds will go directly to the CatNap from the Heart.
http://catnapfromtheheart.org/

More exciting news to come soon! :D Updates also available at http://chefshangrila.com/

See Ya'll at the Chef,

D&C
:drink:

BaMbOoLoDgE...where the South Pacific meets the Great White North!

[ Edited by: BambooLodge 2015-09-17 10:37 ]

When you get to Fong Fest on Saturday 9/12 be sure to find the booth with this banner located near the entrance gate! There are once again many :o MiNd bLoWiNg :o donations coming in from the vendors, the Chef, and other generous folks, and don't let's not forget the awesome Fong Fest Band package! We will get some photos of donations posted soon!! :D

ALL PROCEEDS TO BENEFIT CatNap from the Heart small animal shelter, located in La Grange Park, IL. More info available here http://catnapfromtheheart.org/ Last year we made over $1800.00, this year we're hoping to break to $2000.00 mark! :wink:

Vendor list & raffle pics coming soon so stay tuned!

See ya'll at the Chef!

D&C
:drink:

The wife and I are definitely going to be there! I might try to convince my bro to come along too.

Any chance there will be prints of that poster in your original post available? That would look pretty snazzy on my wall. :wink:

Here are this year's Fantabulous 2015 Fong Fest Vendors...

Asunder

Limited Edition Art Prints By Ary Paloma

Penny Dreadful 13

Maple Tree Lane Soaps

Bachelor Pad Magazine

Novia Del Diablo

Lake Tiki

Poly Golightly Vintage

Visions & Art by Kira Padilla Aguirre

Shoe-Tiki

Bamboo Bimbo Collectibles

Topes Tiki Hut

BambooLodge Vintage

MomTiki/DadTiki Clothing & Kitchy Kuku Collectibles

Friend Prices

CatNap Raffle Booth

Lotsa goodies to be had again this year, so Be sure to take time out to shop!?

Raffle pic teasers coming soon!!

[ Edited by: BambooLodge 2015-08-25 16:23 ]

Comicbookhero, yes the poster will be available as well as t-shirts. I will post shirt art tomorrow!

Here's this year's t-shirt...

Limited quantity will be available @ $15.00 each the day of the event. Get em will ya can! :wink:

This just in folks...

Fong Fest raffle pic teaser, a new 3ft. resin tiki donated by Indilab, Inc. All proceeds to benefit CatNap from the Heart in La Grange, IL. http://catnapfromtheheart.org/

...stay tuned for more pics coming soon!

nice!

Next raffle package brought to you by the fine folks at BambooLodge Vintage. :D
His & Hers Alohawear Ensemble by Ui MaiKai! No size on tags, both items are medium.

Here's another WiLd WaCky WaY oUt raffle item, brought to you this time by Chef Shangri-La! It's a six foot Shark Surf Board. It's really cool and heavy! This could be yours if you purchase some raffle tickets at the 4th Annual Fong Fest (in honor of Paul Fong) Saturday Sept 12 2015. Doors open at Noon and event goes until 10pm in the parking lot. Bar open until 1am. more info at http://www.chefshangrila.com All proceeds from the raffle go to http://catnapfromtheheart.org/ so come out and enjoy the day at the chef!

Holy Gaucamole, it just got even more awesome!

This just in from Lake Tiki...

Just finished my donation for the Fong Fest raffle to benefit CatNap From the Heart animal shelter catnapfromtheheart.org

This piece is inspired by menu art by Duane Hlavka, owner of Chef Shangri-la, and celebrates their signature drink... the Dr. Fong. It is hand carved from pine and hand painted, and measures 24" H x 15" W. I'll be vending at Fong Fest, September 12 in North Riverside, Illinois!

Can you say Witco?

That's right folks this piece will be available at this years charity raffle at Fong Fest to benefit CatNap from the Heart! :o

This piece is a collaboration effort between a few of the old timers here in the Chicago area Tiki scene. No need to mention a bunch of names (ya'll know who you are :wink: ), but I do have to give huge Kudos to my buddy, my pal, Tipsy McStagger! This man brought it back from the dead and created this gorgeous masterpiece which measures in at whopping 50" high x 16" wide!

Look like we're goina be buying a lot of raffle tickets.

See Ya'll at the Chef!

Here's another item...

...another new 3ft. resin tiki donated by Indilab, Inc. This is one very Freaky lookin' Tiki!
All proceeds to benefit CatNap from the Heart in La Grange, IL. http://catnapfromtheheart.org/

T

"ALL PROCEEDS TO BENEFIT CatNap from the Heart small animal shelter, located in La Grange Park, IL. More info available here http://catnapfromtheheart.org/ Last year we made over $1800.00, this year we're hoping to break to $2000.00 mark!"

So is that all proceeds from the event go to charity or all proceeds from
only the raffle go to CatNap.
Kind of unclear there.

Thanx for asking Skip. To clarify...

That would be the raffle Only.

Lotsa great items in the raffle too! Donated by all the vendors and friends of CatNap as well as Chef Shangri-La.

It's only $5.00 admission Skip. :wink: Time for a roadtrip to Chi-town?

T

Thanx for clarification.

"It's only $5.00 admission Skip. Time for a roadtrip to Chi-town?"
Ha! yeah that would be fun.

Good luck.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-09-10 11:16 ]

Sorry to break the news to you Skipperoo, but this event is NOT a FOM sponsored event, although like anyone else, FOM members are welcome to attend the event and purchase lotsa raffle tickets! Justwanted to clarify that for you.

On that note you can move along now Skip. :wink:

Although our good friend Kymm Bang of Atomic Crush Designs will not be vending at this year's Fong Fest, she did donate this really awesome gravel art kit to the charity raffle to benefit Catnap from the Heart!

Thanx now I need more money for more raffle tix!:wink:

Sorry about that, My bad.
Good luck on your event.

It's hard to find events these days that are not FOM in this area.

can't wait for Saturday! This is gonna be great! Hey, I'll put together a goody box too for the cause. See ya soon.

I'm so excited for this. I convinced my wife and best friend to go so this should be awesome. Can't wait to see what people will have for sale!

We'll be there!

Just wanted to say how much fun we had! Great time, can't wait for next year.

This was our first time to Fong Fest, and we had a great time and will definitely be back next year. Lots of great vendors as well; I had to make a couple trips back to the car to drop stuff off!

Thank to all of you who put this event on, to Chef Shangri La for the food and beverages, and to all the bands for wonderful entertainment.

Ladies and Gentlemen this just in...

The charity raffle to benefit CatNap from the Heart ( http://www.catnapfromtheheart.org ) held during yesterday's 4th Annual Fong Fest raised just over $2,300.00.

Mucho Mahalos to the Chef, our fabulous vendors, wonderful bands, and friends, for really stepping up with incredible donations! And huge kudos to everyone who purchased tickets or just made a donation! Without ya'll we couldn't have done this! Thanx so much folks!

T

Good job!
That's like one third of what that other fund raising "fun with purpose"
group gave all of last year.
And they had three big events and other smalls ones.

Hey Skipperoo, Didn't I ask you nicely to move along? Quit hi-jacking this event to babble your delusional bullshit! Leave now and don't let the door hit ya in the ass! :wink:

C

On 2015-09-14 08:54, BambooLodge wrote:
Hey Skipperoo, Didn't I ask you nicely to move along? Quit hi-jacking this event to babble your delusional bullshit! Leave now and don't let the door hit ya in the ass! :wink:

Mahalo, BambooLodge

Congrats!!!!

Glad the event was such a success!

Post some pics!!!

Largest attendance yet, I kid you not, there had to be 1500+ people there! :D

Here are just some of the many pics from the event...

There's a bunch more floating around on FB too!

Thanx again to all that made it out to the event! Hope everyone had a good time and be sure to stay tuned because Fong fest 2016 is going to be epic! :o (Hint - it's also the Chef's 40th Anniversary)

[ Edited by: BambooLodge 2015-09-17 12:37 ]

Here's an absolutely Fongtastic recap of the entire day from Alewife Confidential...

After months of build up and anticipation, the September Saturday we'd all been waiting for had arrived: the festival named after a tropical rum concoction, no less. Despite shifting forecasts and a steady N wind, the conditions were nothing but sun drenched - a sort of Great Lakes version of tropical. For Alewife, it was a 3rd appearance at (the 4th annual) Fong Fest on Chef Shangri La's North Riverside compound. Finally got the big bump from an early afternoon slot to primetime. Think: Playboy After Dark.

To further complicate/enhance the day, Alewife's Colin T was providing PA + lights + mixing + muscle throughout (with able assistance from his grunts). Turned out to be quite the looonnnggg-ass day. 15 hours? Would we have anything left when we took the stage at the end of the day? Let's pray. Or is it, let us prey? And the music? Once it started, it just kept-a-coming ... rumbling, sputtering, exploding, shrieking, soaring. Who needs Riot Fest when ya got Fong Fest?

In the noon lead off position it was Rick "Elvis" Saucedo, kicking things off with a feverish tribute to The King (and lots of dedicated, long-time fans), then fronting the legendary Ambassadors churning through early 60's rootsy, southern-fried rock/pop classics. Then we were treated to a musical journey down to the land of dust and chaparral with the high lonesome sound of the Gin Palace Jesters, with beautiful duels and duets between a telecaster and lap steel, echoing across the Des Plaines R. flood plain. From there it was Milwaukee's Revomatics, with their slightly (and utterly original) psychotic surf sound, powered by a tight two-guitar attack and churning rhythm section. Wow!

Almost half way through the day ... Rumble Train grabbed the wheel and took the crowd on a hell ride of swampbilly and caveman rock, featuring the day's most blistering guitar work (thanks Rich) and a sorely abused upright bass (thanks Rusty). Also plumbing the murky depths of savage rock were the Amazing Heebie Jeebies. My solar plexus is still vibrating from their bass player, Earl's demonic frequencies. From there, Fong Fest stalwarts, 13 Tikis, took over and showed why they are in the absolute pantheon of Chicago's premier surf combos. Their last tune filled the lot with dancers.

As the sun began to set, anticipation rose. We strategically erected our psychedelic lighting pods - six of them - as The Dyes took the stage. With a howl of feedback from that fat Gretsch hollow body, they began to destroy one song after another ... until the power blew! For about 15 minutes it was a scramble to reboot the power, then knock it down again, reboot (the whole restaurant went dark at one point!), and finally a realization that our super cool lighting pods were probably overloading the whole mess. So, we reduced the lights from six to one, and the dulcet punk tones of Lisa+Jill's string section once again ricocheted all over the western suburbs.

Then it was our turn. Miguel's back line traps were still in one piece ... sort of. After providing sound/mix assistance to every other band all day, hour after hour after hour, and then to realize that there was no such assistance for us (an oversight?) ... well, the irony was not lost on me. But, for the most part, our sound seemed to do what it was supposed to do.

Playing live is always an adventure ... one in which you surrender the comforts and expectations – the known knowns – of the studio's controlled environment to the Gods of Chaos, and buzzing pedals, and humming amps, a stage mix that in no way reflects the audience mix, and overcoming the lack of light to be able to visually navigate your left hand to the appropriate spot on that neck. Oops! But, we mostly had a ball. Beverly ascended as Queen Of The Night. Miguel & Alex kept the pulse sizzling. Colin's bass throbbed. Someone shook my hand afterwards. All good. Didn't even break a string.

Following us were the headliners, Barbara Clifford & The Shakin Tailfeathers. She and the band rose to the occasion, took the crowd to a higher level with a funky, soulful set that was impossible to resist. So why try?

With that, Fong Fest 2015 came to a merciful close (said the exhausted stage hand/axeman). Nine bands. Tons and tons of gear. Power outages. Thousands of gallons of Dr Fongs and Mai Tais over ice. Many, many hundreds of fans crowding through the portals. Yeah, Fong Fest is definitely a thing - and more so every year.

For more Alewife Confidential go to http://alewifeconfidential.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: BambooLodge 2015-09-17 07:28 ]

Pages: 1 30 replies