GEORGE KUO,
AARON MAHI
and
MARTIN PAHINUI
9p
$15 Adv
$18 Day Of
Limited dinner reservations available.

George Kuo was born on November 17, 1955, but his beautiful slack key guitar style dates back a generation or two earlier. "I feel a lot of appreciation for the old style of slack key and the lifestyle of my grandparents, granduncles, grandaunts and all the older players. There's a special aloha for them that I try to convey in my style of slack key."
"My feeling is in the playing from the 1940s," he continues. "I like to play a nice relaxed, easy style. Not too much fancy stuff, keep it within the melody. It's more delivering a message than playing runs."

Aaron David Mahi, a native-Hawaiian, has served as Bandmaster of the Royal Hawaiian Band since 1981. He is a graduate of Kamehameha Schools and the Hartt School of Music in Connecticut where he received his degree in Music Education. Fluent in English, Hawaiian and German, Mahi's sound musicianship and sensitivity has added a new dimension to the Royal Hawaiian Band.

One of Hawaiian music's most gifted vocalists, Martin Pahinui has performed with a host of top artists, including his father's legendary Gabby Pahinui Hawaiian Band, The Peter Moon Band, The Pahinui Brothers and slack key super group Hui Aloha. On HO'OLOHE – (LISTEN), his long awaited first solo release for the Dancing Cat label, Martin shares his aloha for the traditional sound with thirteen classic tracks full of slack key, steel guitar and a passionate voice that expresses the essence of Hawaiian soul.

[ Edited by: Selector Lopaka on 2003-08-03 11:07 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies