Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Treasure Found In Grandma's Attic...

Pages: 1 8 replies

Well, here's my latest, "find." My wonderful fiancee went on her yearly trip to Michigan to spend some quality time with the relatives. Before she left I ask her to look for some "tiki" while she was there. I guess the Tiki Gods were smiling upon me. It just so happens that my fiancee went on a trip to Florida with her grandparents back in 1976 and went to, of all places, Tiki Gardens! Believe it or not, her grandmother still had the wonderful, Green OMC (handled) Tiki Mug that she picked up as a momento of their trip. Little did she know, this "ugly" mug would, someday, become such a sought-after item. Anyway, I've attached, not only, a pic of the Mug, but also a photo of my fiancee and her grandmother taken at the Wonderful Tiki Gardens. Note the bamboo hut and the Tiki Masks!

Nice mug. Free is always a nice price! Check out how worn that palmwood tiki is in the photo...must have been one of the first at Tiki Gardens.

I bet that's actually an old Tree-fern tiki in the photo. And I've got one of those mugs! I wonder if mine came from Tiki Gardens originally too, or if other locations sold them.

As a paper collector though, the photo is really the priceless item. Almost impossible to find personal snapshots of old tiki joints. Much better than postcards.

Congratulations on the nice haul from the attic, Vegastikidude!

Sabu

Thanks, BK and Sabu!!! Always a pleasure sharing!!!

you lucky little s--t!

I have that mug in my collection as well and it was actually the first mug I ever bought. I got it when I was 13 years old and I guess that started it all.

What a great pic! I need to go through my parents photo albums from our trips to Hawaii in '77 and '79.....I bet there are some goodies hidden in 'em! That tiki does look like fern...this guy was one of my first attempts and turns out is fern as well! Like carving a shredded wheat!

Hey! Nice shot!

Anychance there are more where that came from? I'm in the middle of redoing the Tiki Gardens Memorial Website. I'd be very interested in seeing any other shots that they might have.

TG

I can't see the photo of the mug! What a shame.. it sounds amazing! I hope the photo works again soon! :)

The photo of them at Tiki Gardens is PRICELESS, however. Beautiful! Congrats on your find! :D

Pages: 1 8 replies