Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Tonga Room in San Francisco is hiring for a bartender!

Pages: 1 8 replies

H

Good things have been happening at the Tonga Room, drink-wise. It's just the beginning glimmers of something that could be great... but finally there are some bartenders there now who really get it and want to respect the history and specialness of the place through the quality of their drinks.

Go help them! Be a bartender at the Tonga Room. Become a part of living history, and get paid for the privilege.

More details:

San Francisco’s Tonga Room is Hiring a Bartender

What would it take to convince them to do a true tiki event there? It's well overdue!
I want to play on that raft!!

H

It's the ultimate dream, isn't it?

One reason it hasn't happened really is the (truly terrible, hits-of-the-'80s) house band -- their contract says they must be paid, even if they aren't playing for the night. And they play every night. So anyone who wants to have different music for the night has to stomach that cost, on top of their own entertainment. OOF!

This is so tempting but just not great timing for me. Oh well. I hope they can find someone that will continue to improve their cocktails and care about the history of the place.

[ Edited by: McSquiggins 2015-08-31 14:14 ]

[ Edited by: McSquiggins 2015-08-31 14:16 ]

That band REALLY needs to go and there REALLY needs to be some approp music played....

Would be nice to see the band go, but every time I'm there it seems like most of the patrons are drunk middle aged people that just want to dance to some Ricky Martin covers. Not sure they want to lose that business.

How in the world did that band work their contract like that??? What a horrible deal for the restaurant!

H

It's in the Fairmont Hotel, every employee is in a union, including the musicians. I don't mind so much that the musicians are protected -- that's actually kind of cool, that their work is respected and their ability to pay their bills is solid -- but if it's going to be locked into just one band, dear god, make it one that's right for the room!

UB

On 2015-09-07 06:32, Humuhumu wrote:
It's in the Fairmont Hotel, every employee is in a union, including the musicians. I don't mind so much that the musicians are protected -- that's actually kind of cool, that their work is respected and their ability to pay their bills is solid -- but if it's going to be locked into just one band, dear god, make it one that's right for the room!

They should hire this band!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E7KDEmwhNo

Pages: 1 8 replies