Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Old Trader Vic's menu-- recipes for drinks I haven't seen listed before?

Pages: 1 12 replies

T

I found a copy (undated) of a Vic's menu floating around, and there are several drinks listed that I haven't seen on others-- though it's quite possible that they used to be common at Vic's and I'm just out-of-the-loop. Here they are, with menu descriptions if given:

Samson's Dilly
A real Chest Expander

Siegert's Bouquet
Sieget's Rum of Trinidad and a blending of liqueurs with Lemon make this a tart yet sweet cocktail

Jamaica Float
For devotees of fine Jamaica Rum

(I've seen this one before but have never seen a recipe, and it has a cool mug pictured)
Babalu
Old debbil Rum conjures throbbing drumbeats and black magic

Kona Nightingale
Named after the little braying jackasses of Honolulu... and it has a kick like one!

Barbados Red Rum Swizzle
A real "Guzzler"

Tortuga
Sir Henry Morgan's Own-- rugged but right.

Falkland Islands Warmer
A concoction of Drambuie served in the Falkland Islands when those good people have a chill and are upset

Northwest Passage
A salute to Kenneth Roberts who made Hot Grog famous in his immortal book by this name

Trader Vic's Pau

White Witch

Does anyone know any of these? This menu also lists some great stuff I don't normally see on these, like the Ramos Fizz, Pimm's Cup (nos. 1, 2, 3 and 4!!)

The Tortuga:
1 oz LH 151 (or hamilton 151)
1 oz Havana Club 123-proof (extinct product, book suggests either 1 1/4 oz havana club seleccion de maestros or 3/4 oz 151 proof cruzan)
1 oz sweet vermouth
1/2 oz orange curacao
1/2 oz white creme de cacao
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz orange juice
1/4 oz grenadine

Shake everything with ice cubes and strain into a glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with a lime wedge.

From Potions of the Caribean.

It's not bad, but it's not my favorite. I think a little more sour and a hair less creme de cacao would improve things, but I haven't gotten around to playing with the recipe yet.

The Babalu appears on a 1971 TV's menu from the Dallas Hilton in POTC. The description and image are identical to that of the voodoo grog earlier in the book; it's probably the same drink under a different name.

1 oz gold puerto rican rum
1 oz rhum agricole vieux
3/4 oz lime juice
3/4 oz white grapefruit juice
3/4 oz pimento dram
1/4 oz honey
1/2 oz passion fruit syrup
1 egg white
nutmeg
8 oz crushed ice

Place all except nutmeg in a blender. Blend for 20 seconds. Pour into large snifter. Dust with nutmeg and garnish with mint sprig and pineapple stick.

Thought I had one for ya. Saw the Siegert's Bouquet listed and remembered there was a Siegerts cocktail in the book "Introducing Original Polynesian Tropical Bar Recipes". Looked it up, but it's called Siegerts Delight. It has lime juice, Orgeat and Seigerts Bouguet Rum. From the looks of recipe in your post:

Sieget's Rum of Trinidad and a blending of liqueurs with Lemon make this a tart yet sweet cocktail

It's probably not even close.

howlinowl

There is, however, a thread on TC for the White Witch:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25064&forum=10&hilite=white%20witch

howlinowl

T

Thanks much for the help! Some of these look interesting. So the menu photo I have is probably the Dallas TV's?

Here's the menu: http://imgur.com/yHRApBh

Here is a good video for the Ramos Fizz plus the history behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pztPnXog4g8

From what it looks like a Northwest Passage is a normal Vic's hot grog sub with 151.

[ Edited by: CongoPete 2015-08-30 20:58 ]

T

Thanks, CongoPete! Edit: Can't find the Hot Grog recipe anywhere.

The Ramos Fizz is already one of my favorites, not very tiki but very tasty when made properly!

[ Edited by: TorchGuy 2015-08-31 05:39 ]

On 2015-08-30 13:27, PalmtreePat wrote:
The Tortuga:
1 oz LH 151 (or hamilton 151)
1 oz Havana Club 123-proof (extinct product, book suggests either 1 1/4 oz havana club seleccion de maestros or 3/4 oz 151 proof cruzan)
1 oz sweet vermouth
1/2 oz orange curacao
1/2 oz white creme de cacao
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz orange juice
1/4 oz grenadine

Shake everything with ice cubes and strain into a glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with a lime wedge.

From Potions of the Caribean.

It's not bad, but it's not my favorite. I think a little more sour and a hair less creme de cacao would improve things, but I haven't gotten around to playing with the recipe yet.

Palmtreepat.....you're spot on regarding Tortuga. The actual recipe being used in 1958 at the Havana Trader Vic's calls for..
1/4 oz. Creme de cocoa
1 oz. Lemon juice

Palmtreepat.....you're spot on regarding Tortuga. The actual recipe being used in 1958 at the Havana Trader Vic's calls for..
1/4 oz. Creme de cocoa
1 oz. Lemon juice

Just tried the recipe again using LS Cuban 151 (I don't know what Havana Club 123 tasted like, but if Selecion de Maestros is the next best thing I imagine it was a much richer rum than cruzan 151) and it was an order of magnitude better than the first time I tried it. Thanks!

Palmtreepat. Here is the complete authentic 58' Tortuga recipe. I like the noting of the brand specific blender.

In Waring blender.

Juice of half lime.
1oz. Lemon juice.
1 1/2 oz. Orange juice.
1/4 oz. Curacao
1/4 oz. Creme de cocoa.
1/4 oz. Grenadine.
1oz. Italian vermouth.
1 1/4 oz. 86 proof Demerara rum.
1/2 scoop shaved ice.
Blend and serve in Tortuga glass. Decorate with lime shell, fresh mint and paddle.

A

The Barbados Red Rum Swizzle is in both "Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink" (1946) and "Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide" (1972).

Here's the recipe:

• 1/2 Lime
  • 2 oz Barbados Rum (the '46 guide recommends Bellows Cockade)
  • 1 dash Angostura Bitters
  • 1 dash Rock Candy Syrup (the '46 guide says 1/2 tsp sugar)
    Squeeze lime juice into Trader Vic's sling glass partly filled with shaved ice; save lime shell. Add bitters, syrup, and rum. Swizzle until drink is uniform. Decorate with lime shell, fresh mint, and fruit stick.
A

TorchGuy and others, recipes for every one of these cocktails are available in "Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide" (1972). Look around and I'm sure you can find a copy.

"I am Lono!" -- Hunter S. Thompson

[ Edited by: arriano 2015-09-07 10:20 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies