Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Seattle "Four Seas" wise old sage mug-- unusual?

Pages: 1 2 replies

I found this in a thrift store. It's much thinner than mugs I'm used to (though I haven't examined many old ones, and it's the only old one I've EVER found while hunting - Seattle doesn't have much!) The Four Seas still exists, at 714 S. King St. in the International District/Chinatown. Here's the front, showing a sort of old sage or monk with a beard and long robes, holding a walking stick and a coconut.

Back with the "Four Seas Seattle" marking and more nifty detail on his robes.

Bottom, "Made exclusively for Four Seas, Seattle" and the Otagiri "OMC Japan" sticker.

I haven't seen another photo of one of these. Are they uncommon in the wider world of tiki collecting? Anyone have any idea what may have been served in them?

I went down to the Four Seas one afternoon to ask about them. The place has a bit of a 50s-60s mid-century vibe, though it may have been much cooler in the past. The bartender said he had no idea when they quit using them or what had gone in them (they were before his time) but added that, about a year before, a guy came in with a few of them and wanted to sell them to the bar for $100 each, which they firmly declined!

[ Edited by: TorchGuy 2015-08-30 22:48 ]

[ Edited by: TorchGuy 2015-08-30 22:48 ]

TorchGuy, I've seen a handful of these pop up on Ebay. None of them for anywhere near 100 bucks but not a bargain either. Never bid on them but it is a handsome mug!

aloha, tikicoma

AAA

I grabbed two for $6 each last week on eBay. Don't think the seller had any idea they would be collectible

Pages: 1 2 replies