Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Article/Documentary about Hula....

Pages: 1 4 replies

M

No, not hula hula in Vegas, although that would make a fantasticly entertaining documentary.

The POV documentary "American Aloha: Hula Beyond Hawai'i" premieres 8/5 at 11pm on KQED here in SF. Not sure about other PBS stations.

Here's the article from the SF Chronicle. Interesting read, though probably nothing too new for TCers:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/08/04/DD83688.DTL

"The average Californian wearing his Hawaiian shirt on casual Friday probably has the wrong impression about hula music, which uses words and movements to tell the history of a state that has lost so much since 1893, when Queen Lydia Kamaka'eha Liliuokalani was overthrown and Hawaii became an American territory." -- article.

Heck, they got Don the Beachcomber, Trader Vic and Martin Denny. Seems like an even trade to me.
KG

For Orange County, California HT TC'ers, it is a night for tv viewing:

Hawaiian Eye, Huell Howser "Palms", and "American Aloha: Hula Beyond Hawaii"

I take hula class in NYC with co-director Lisette!

The film was featured at a recent Hawaiian film festival here, and it was great.

T

SCD,

Isn't the premier of 'The OC' on tonight. How can you by-pass such a wonderful new Fox 'reality' program?

I am definitely only joking.

Pages: 1 4 replies