Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Thalie Massie Affair 1930s Honolulu Rape Murder Honor Killing Book

Pages: 1 1 replies

Just got done reading this book and it is amazing. A must read for any Hawaiian history buff. It absolutely should be made into a movie. It will not make you proud to be an American but man what a fascinating book that shows you how hysteria and bigotry not to mention the media, large corporations, and the military affected pre statehood Hawaii.

In 1985 a TV mini series was produced, on this subject, for ABC, I believe, by Lorimar Productions. It was quite good but the title "Blood & Orchids" may have thrown people off. It starred Kris Kristofferson, Jane Alexander, Sean Young and Jose Ferrer. The Massie case was a big deal back in the day , especially here in Hawai'i but soon forgotten back in the mainland, probably due to the race issues. You are right Tumatauenga, a must read or see. "Blood and Orchids" the book (1983)and the DVD (1985)can be still bought on Amazon or (for the DVD) on the Warner Brothers website.

I recently had the privilege of having a short but pleasing conversation with the author Professor David Stannard in an elevator at the University of Hawaii. Great guy. Funny come to think of it I ran into Kristofferson in an elevator at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel many years ago when he was filming "Blood and Orchids". Another great guy. Haha, man I should write a book.

Pages: 1 1 replies