Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 9-9-15 Back to School

Pages: 1 0 replies

DZ

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: September 9, 2015

On this week’s show we headed back to school with all the other pre- and post-pubescent pupils seeking knowledge and enlightenment in all of its vital and variegated variations.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Feelin' No Pain (Learning New Customs),” by the New Leviathan Oriental Fox-Trot Orchestra from their school history project: The Nina, The Pinta and the S.S. Leviathon.

2. “I Was Saying to the Moon,” the song by Arthur Johnston and Johnny Burke for the 1936 movie: Go West Young Man, sung by Mae West and found on her righteous retrospective: Come Up and See Me Sometime – 30 Original Mono Recordings 1933-1954.

3. “Jamboree Jones,” the 1937 song composed by Johnny Mercer, was heard in a version waxed in 1944 by Spike Jones & His City Slickers and was drawn from the bonny box set: Strictly for Music Lovers.

4. “Small Fry,” the Hoagy Carmichael and Frank Loesser song that was introduced by Bing Crosby in the 1938 movie: Sing You Sinners, sung by Mildred Bailey that same year and taken from her horological and alcoholical album: Cocktail Hour Series.

5. “Morning Air,” inked by Willie “The Lion” Smith and recorded by him in 1958 on the album he shared with fellow stride pianist Luckey Roberts titled: Luckey & The Lion: Harlem Piano, with the production supervised by Nat Hentoff. The song was written in appreciation of the way St. Nicholas Avenue near City College in New York City looks in September and October.

6. “You're My Everything,” composed by Harry Warren, Mort Dixon and Joe Young for the 1931 Broadway musical: The Laugh Parade, sung by Billy Eckstine in 1946 which we derived from his rapturous retrospective: Boppin’ With “B,” including Kenny Dorham on Trumpet.

7. “Learnin' the Blues,” the 1955 song by Dolores Vicki Silvers, was vocally interpolated by Rosemary Clooney in 1955 with Buddy Cole on Piano, found on her succinctly titled album: Jazz Singer.

8. “I Want to Learn to Speak Hawaiian,” the 1935 song by Johnny Noble warbled by the ukulele master Bill Tapia in concert in 2005 when he was 98 years old, supported by Ruth Davies on Bass and Akira Tana on Drums, and found on his incomparable compact disc: Livin’ It Live.

9. “The Children's Corner,” recorded by the composer and arranger Manny Albam on his 1966 concept album: Soul of the City, featuring Jerome Richardson on Flute, Mike Manieri on Vibes and Phil Woods on Alto Sax.

10. “I Could Write a Book,” written by Rodgers & Hart for the 1940 Broadway musical: Pal Joey, found on the 1957 landmark LP: Joy Bryan Sings, accompanied by the Marty Paich Septet with Mr. Paich on Arrangements and Piano, Jack Sheldon on Trumpet, Bob Enevoldsen on Clarinet, Bass Clarinet and Trombone, Herb Geller on Clarinet and Alto Sax, Ronny Lang on Clarinet, Alto and Baritone Sax, Red Mitchell on Bass and Mel Lewis on Drums.

11. The 1953 song by Gene De Paul and Sammy Cahn, “Teach Me Tonight,” performed by the piano genius Erroll Garner on his outstanding album: Concert by the Sea, recorded live in Carmel, California, in 1955, with Eddie Calhoun on Bass and Denzil Best on Drums.

12. “Children’s Games (Chovendo na Roseira), from the trombone master Slide Hampton’s superlative CD: Slide Plays Jobim – Slide Hampton Plays the Music of Antonio Carlos Jobim, with Andres Boiarsky on Soprano Sax, Douglas Purviance on Bass Trombone, Guilherme Monteiro on Acoustic Guitar, Claudio Roditi on Trumpet, John Lee on Bass and Duduka da Fonsec on Drums & Percussion.

13. “The Gypsy in My Soul,” The song composed by Clay Boland and Moe Jaffe in 1937 for the 50th anniversary of the University of Pennsylvania Mask and Wig Show, sung by Jackie Ryan on her compelling compact disc: Listen Here, including John Clayton on Bass, his son Gerald Clayton on Piano and Rickey Woodard on Tenor Sax.

14. “Piano na Mangueira,” played by the jazz musician Yotam on Electric Guitar and drawn from his sumptuous CD: Brazil, accompanied by David Feldman on Piano and Vanderlei Pereira on Drums & Percussion, This song was written by Chico Buarque and Antonio Carlos Jobim in homage to the Grêmio Recreativo Escola de Samba (GRES) Estação Primeira de Mangueira, considered Rio de Janeiro’s most celebrated samba school.

15. “Sing,” originally composed by Joe Raposo for Sesame Street, performed by the pedagogical Pink Martini on their 2009 CD: Splendor in the Grass, including Thomas M. Lauderdale on Piano and vocals by China Forbes, Emile Delgado, who was Luis on Sesame Street, The Royal Blues of Grant High School and the staff of Portland, Oregon, Mayor Sam Adams.

Pages: 1 0 replies