Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

11/7 Roadtrip To The Yachtsman in Philly (It was great!)

Pages: 1 35 replies

:tiki: :drink:** Tiki Pilgrimage to Philly ** :drink: :tiki:

**Update: Date now set for Saturday, November 7 **
I'm gathering interest in a day trip (or Weekender) centered around a visit to "The Yachtsman," Philly's own (and only) Tiki Bar. A number of us from the DC/Baltimore area have made scouting trips to check out the vibe and the drinks, and I'm happy to report back that it is the real deal. Great drinks, both classics and some of their own originals, and great decor. Well worth the trip.

So it's time to start herding cats and see who is interested. After I get a rough, but committed number, I'll contact Yachtsman to work out something special. Thanks to our previous visits, the General Manager has offered to crank up the Aloha for our group. I'm sure whatever he comes up with will not disappoint.

The Small Print
*Date is now set for Saturday, November 7 *

DC to Philly can be done, without speeding tickets, in a little over 2 hours. About the same time to make it in from NYC. So if you pace yourself, it is doable as a day trip, or as an overnighter. We're shooting for a mid-afternoon stop at the Yachtsman, followed by picking a spot for dinner afterwards. (place TBD) Personally, I'm opting for the "double cheesesteak tour" - you arrive in time for a cheesesteak lunch, go to the Yachtsman for drinks, followed by a cheesesteak dinner.

Very near to the Yachtsman is a new rum distillery which opens up the possibility to adding a distillery tour to the fun.

Everyone will be responsible for their own transportation, but we will pick a time to meet up at the Yachtsman.
Kalaka (carpooling) is encouraged. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1-2iXQTmU8
Bus and train is possible for those so inclined.

To be very safe, if you'd like to add overnight accommodations, please contact me for some tips for an affordable hotel option. If you play your coconuts right, you should be able to get a decent room for under $100 nearby at a national brand hotel.

We'll green light this if we have at least 6 to 8 people going, and it would be great to meet up with any local Tikiphiles in the the area to add to the Ohana.
**Update: Our current estimated number is around 12 so far, with another few expected to come on board. **

The Mai Tai is in your court...

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-09-30 11:41 ]

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-11-03 09:35 ]

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-11-12 08:04 ]

I'll go, but you got to come and get me.......

I am interested, plus Mr. Tikigoddess also.

I will make it out if I can.

So far, and the invite has only been out a few days, we've got 6+ from MD/DC/VA interested and a few more from the Philly area.
No one else has offered up dates, perhaps offering a couple of date choices will help.

Looking at the calendar, Oct 10 is during a holiday weekend (for some) and October 31 is Halloween (no good).

How is October 17th or October 24th? I could either, but the 24th is just a bit better for us.

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-09-14 07:56 ]

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-09-14 08:35 ]

24th is fine with me.

Thanks for the date info. Waiting for more feedback, hardest part of meet ups is settling on a date - the cat herding part of it all.

October seems to be slipping away from us. Several interested folks down our way are suggesting either Nov 7 or Nov 14 (both are Saturdays).

Any feedback for one of these Saturdays?

7th is best for me. Thank you for setting this event up!

**Update: Date now set for Saturday, November 7 **

For those who have not been to the Yachtsman yet, the main room seats (chairs for) about 21 (12 at the bar, the rest around the main room).
PLUS they have a small back room that does another 6 to 8. Because we're planning to have a mix of people coming for a day trip and some staying overnight, we've picked meeting up at the Yachtsman in the afternoon. Even at mid-afternoon, this will probably give us the run of the place, especially if I am able to pre-arrange our coming with the Yachtsman. (Though the more IS the merrier, and there are no caps on our numbers, I doubt that we'll be pushing up to their capacity)

Plan Update:

Just a short walk from The Yachtsman is La Colombe which is now distilling their own rum.
As soon as we know the final numbers and the date, we'll book a tour of their operation.

If all goes well, we'll be spending the afternoon between La Colombe and the Yachtsman. For those interested in going to dinner, picking an interesting spot afterwards. There are great choices nearby or a short drive away.

For the ambitious and Philly Cheesesteak lovers, a few of us are planning to stop at Dalessandros ( http://www.dalessandros.com ) before we go to La Colombe / Yachtsman.

More details to come as our numbers firm up. The Yachtsman's GM has offered to do us up royal when we know how many and when.

If anyone would like to know more about hotel options, please PM me, or email me.

Mahalo,
Dr. Coruba

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-09-30 11:42 ]

Date is now settled on November 7th.

*I wish there were a perfect date that everyone interested could make, but no matter what date was picked, there were some could not make that date. November 7th proved to have the least number of conflicts. *

Based on the responses so far, I'd say were looking at about 12-14 people with a few more possibly coming on line in the next few days. Given the size of the place, this is a nice size, with room for more if we have a few stragglers.

On 2015-09-30 11:51, Dr. Coruba wrote:
Date is now settled on November 7th.

I have friends that do the tours at both the new liberty distillery as well as yards brewery which are both in the neighborhood.

[ Edited by: exquisitecorpse 2015-09-30 15:48 ]

I will be attending this event w/ Mr. Tikigoddess. What time do we meet? I guess I will just wait at the yachtsman for the group to arrive. Again, thank you for setting this up.

On 2015-10-02 05:39, TikiGoddess wrote:
I guess I will just wait at the yachtsman for the group to arrive.

I can guess what you'll be doing to pass the time. Arriving "early" would be like, 10am? :drink:

Have fun!

DC

I will be attending this event w/ Mr. Tikigoddess. What time do we meet? I guess I will just wait at the yachtsman for the group to arrive. Again, thank you for setting this up.

My pleasure. It's great to have an excuse to bring people out to support a (relatively) new Tiki bar.

Things are still loose while I give it until next Saturday to guesstimate the likely number of attendees. (Right now, I'd guess about 12-16, but more seem to be coming on line)

If there is enough interest, we plan to do a distillery tour before meeting up at the Yachtsman. Originally, I thought of La Colombe, and that still might be it, but ExquisiteCorpse has put on the table the possibility of one or two other neighborhood spots. IF we do that, meet up might be 1-1:30 at the distillery/brewery.

**Meet up time at Yachtsman is currently planned for 3 pm. **
We have people coming in from MA, NY, NJ, PA, MD and DC, 3 pm is to give ample time for people to get in to town, and to grab lunch before rumming it up. Mid-afternoon was also chosen because we have a mix of people doing this as a day trip and some doing an overnighter. It also should be a time when Yachtsman isn't very busy so we'll just about have run of the place.

Some of us plan to pick a spot for a post-Yachtsman nosh, and depending on how many overnighters there are, there is some evening partying opportunities that bubble up too.

Look for a firmed up schedule posted here around October 15th.

For those on TC who are planning to go, please personal message me your email address, it will make contacting attendees easier as we get closer to November 7th. Or you can email me directly at: Dr.Coruba(at)outlook.com

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-10-02 06:57 ]

On 2015-10-02 06:01, AceExplorer wrote:

I guess I will just wait at the yachtsman for the group to arrive.

I can guess what you'll be doing to pass the time. Arriving "early" would be like, 10am? :drink:

Have fun!

I will be waiting patiently in the corner, sipping tea and knitting....

Question to the Philly locals, how crazy will it be at the Reading Terminal Market on a Saturday around noon time? For those of us driving up from the DC area, we're thinking about a lunchtime nosh before we rum up later in the afternoon. One of our Tiki Thirstday regulars who grew up in Philly tells us save the Cheesesteak for later in the day, that we should go to DiNic's for roast pork that has no equal.

Any local color on this would be appreciated.

Hey. I'm a Vermonter now, but born and bred in Philly. The market is a must-see as far as I'm concerned! So much great food and just an amazingly classic locale. It's busy at lunchtime every day, but probably a little less so on a Saturday than during the week when the business lunch crowd descends. But the bustle of the market is part of its charm!

If you like hoagies, don't miss Salumeria. Theirs are award-winning and gourmet. But there's something for everyone there from Mexican to sushi to diner food and much much more.

And don't forget to feed Philbert the Pig and rub his nose for good luck! He eats coins and the $ goes to the children's hospital.

Wish I could join you all!! :)

Group message to a few people who I told earlier to hold off on making any un-cancelable hotel reservations for a few more days, just to be safe and certain about the Meet Up. Looks like we've got well over a dozen who are traveling in to make it, plus a few who are more local jumping in, so we're locked in for November 7th. So go ahead and make your best deal on a hotel room, or couch space at a friend's house!

Because Aloha tends to beget more Aloha, there are some people working on potential extras for the weekend. Some for Saturday, and something that might be special for those staying in Philly overnight. We'll post 'em as they firm up and hope to have a schedule posted next weekend.

Just a reminder that the afternoon at The Yachtsman is "the Meet Up", no obligation for everyone to go to everything/every where on the day's menu. The More the Merrier applies at any and all other stops we offer up. It's a jump in and jump out when you can day.

"Be well, be happy, be Tiki!"
Dr. Coruba

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-10-08 10:25 ]

Final details and times for Saturday, November 7th's Tiki Road Trip to the Yachtsman in Philly will be posted tonight!

DC

Here are the final details for the November 7th Tiki Meet Up at the Yachtsman. We're not trying to make this too programmed or itinerary driven. So like a Tiki Trolley, feel free to jump in where you like, and jump off when and where it suits you.

12:00 Noon
Meet Up at Philly's Famous "Reading Terminal Market"

http://www.readingterminalmarket.org

Thanks to some of our local Philly Tiki people, the Market has been highly recommended as a single stop place to same a wide array of authentic Philly foods. A bunch of us are planning to start our day here, grab a bite before fueling up on the great drinks at the Yachtsman. Our plan is to be there and ordering up at DiNic's Roast Pork winner of The Travel Channel's "Best Sandwich in America".
http://tommydinics.com (Not to worry Cheesesteak lovers, you can get great ones at the RTM as well)

1:30 pm
Meet Up at LaColumbe

1335 Frankford Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19125
http://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/2015/08/20/drink-coffee-rum-cocktails-la-colombe/#more-3000743
La Colombe is a unusual combination of coffee shop, roaster and distillery in Fishtown, about a block from the Yachtsman. In addition to incredible coffee, they are distilling their own distinctive rum right there on the premises. They also serve cocktails. (The tour of the on premise distillery is still in the works and not finalized - we hope to have that worked out this week. Please check back to this thread during the week for the update)

3:00 pm The Main Event!
The Yachtsman

1444 Frankford Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19125

The Yachtsman, now celebrating it's one year anniversary as Philly's best Tiki bar. Home to some of Philly's best craft cocktail bartenders, it has a great selection of Tiki classics and an ever expanding list of original exotics. They've done a nice job with the decor, there will be exotica on the sound system - let's let them see what a full house of Tiki people does for the place. Their general manager has promised us a good time.

[i]For those who might not be jumping in until The Yachtsman, I'm betting our Tiki Tourists will be there for quite some time, likely until 6-7:00+, and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't go later than that, so come on down even if you think it might be late to jump in.

Saturday Night in Philly
We've left this wide open for everyone attending to have some Philly time of your own. Go as groups, or explore on your own.

Based on my last two trips to the Yachtsman, I'll recommend a fun one-two Philly Punch of going to Dalesandro's ( http://www.dalessandros.com ) and Roxborough Seafood House. Between the two you can have one of Philly's very best cheesesteaks and/or wonderful seafood/Italian food. The ornate bar at the Roxborough is from before Prohibition and worth seeing, and was one of the most fun times I've had at a non-Tiki bar. It a real "Cheers" sort of place, but even if it's your first time, the regulars are very welcoming and treat you like you've been there for years. Real Ohana, even though they don't know the meaning of the word.

Sunday's Big Tiki Bonus
For those who are staying in Philly overnight, Mod Betty of RetroRoadmap.com ( http://www.RetroRoadmap.com) has arranged an exclusive studio tour of interest to tiki folks, in Phoenixville, PA. Sunday 11/8 at 2pm.

Designer John Luttman of Artifaqt ( http://www.artifaqt.com/ ) was instrumental in designing decor for Disney's Polynesian / Ohana restaurant and most recently for Eric Ripert 's Le Bernardin restaurant in NYC (https://www.le-bernardin.com/ ) and Leblon cachaca ( http://www.leblon.com/leblon ).
He has graciously offered to open up his studio to Mod Betty and her tiki friends for a sneak peek at what he's creating and what he has created - including a 10ft tall tiki that resides in his office!

A demonstration of the lost wax casting process will happen and caipirinhas will be served (watch the video of John's design for the Leblon muddling set ( https://vimeo.com/64395055 )

He's busy with production but since Mod Betty asked, he will make this happen!

If you're interested in attending, please RSVP to the Facebook page for (your tiki weeekend) or email [email protected]

For those who want to make a Phoenixville day of it, there's also a tour of the Historic Colonial Theatre across from Artifaqt - this is the theatre made famous in The Blob! ( https://youtu.be/nqZ86pJkz-M )

Mod Betty is the retro hostess with the mostest, creator of RetroRoadmap.com and the Retro Roadmap travel series on youtube where she loves to share "Cool Vintage Places & Retro Fun!"

http://www.RetroRoadmap.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/RetroRoadmap
https://instagram.com/modbetty_retroroadmap/
https://www.facebook.com/RetroRoadmap

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-11-02 15:57 ]

Sounds super fun. Wish I could join you, but we're hosting another house concert on Saturday night, so no hometown road trip for me this week. Take a photo of all of you with Philbert the pig (at Reading Terminal Market), eh? Remember to rub his nose for good luck! :)

T

Sounds great!

M

Tiki-Centralites / Looking forward to meeting up with you folks at the Yachtsman on Saturday!

If you're interested in attending the tour on Sunday, please email me directly at [email protected] so I can gauge how many people are attending.

Mahalo, ohana!

Mod Betty
:)

If the good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise Mr. TikiGoddess and I will be there with bells on!

M

Hey gang - sad to report that the Phoenixville tour for Sunday has been cancelled. Our host has an important deadline to hit and needs to concentrate on that.

Retro Roadhusband and I do look forward to meeting you folks at the Yachtsman - see you tomorrow!

xo

Mod Betty

A big thank you to Dr. Coruba for setting up this terrific outing! Mr. Tikigoddess and I had a blast! We met some nice friendly tiki folk and got to check out a new bar. Hopefully we can do another meetup one day. Now, for some details: I had 2 mai tais and they both tasted different, no where the same. One tasted like mint, that's all, the second tasted like pineapple juice. The second one had grated nutmeg on top. (wha??? I know some people put it on a painkiller, I have never witnessed it on a mai tai. Couldn't taste it either so it didn't matter in the end.) I tasted Mr. Tikigoddess' Navy Grog and it was realy good, plus it had the appropriate ice shape, like a big hunk of ice that looks like a cone with the straw going thru it. When we arrived the tiki get together was going full bore and I would say the bartenders were overwhelmed and not used to so many exotic cocktail orders coming in at once. Probably not used to so many awesome people in one room either.

Make mine a mai tai!

[ Edited by: Tikigoddess 2015-11-12 17:58 ]

(I'm still recovering from the Philly weekend...)

Roadtrip Mahalos to all who made it down to the Yachtsman last Saturday. We had a great turnout, and the local turnout put things right over the top. I'm still in the process of collecting pics from Saturday at the Yachtsman and hope to post something larger very soon. (If anyone who attended and took pics is reading this, please send me any photos you don't mind sharing to me at TikiThirstday(at)gmail.com)

I don't think that they've ever had that many dyed in the wool (or is that dyed in the tapacloth) Tikiphiles all at once, but for my money, they did very well. Don't think I ever waited more than 8-10 minutes for a drink (and only that long when they were absolutely slammed). We kept 2 prep people and two great bartenders busy, and every one of my drinks were spot on. They even tried a new one on us, the P&P Cooler. It was a great tropical with passion fruit and freshly juiced pear. (this Velveteen Lounge vid has the recipe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAO2fwv9Fc4 )

We will make another Roadtrip to Philly in spring for sure.

It was great getting to meet a bunch of you last weekend. Hopefully next time I'll find out about it before the day of and possibly help organize or atleast suggest some things for the out of towners. Vietnam in china town kicks out good food as well as tropical drink, still in mugs the last time I was there. Hope to see youse guys (philly lingo) at the next one,

Don't remember you by Tiki name, GnarledMonkey, but I hope we met last week. Great of you to come, it was nice to see the Yachtsman so full of Aloha that afternoon. We will have to do it again, and between now and then, some of youse Tiki folk need to make it down to DC. You'll be right at home at our usual hut, House of Foong Lin, and we have another new and very promising Tiki bar opening in DC next month.

Mahalos everyone who made it and especially the Philly and near Philly crowd that met up with us. And special thanks to Velveteen Lounge, Capt Quad, and Mod Betty & Co. It was a Mad, Mod, Mad, Mod World kind of time.

(I still owe everyone at least some pictures of the Nov 7 Tiki Roadtrip to Philly, but got tsunami-ed by the flu last weekend. I'll try again this weekend.)

who is up for another TC meetup at the Yachtsman? Lets set something up and get together, last fall's meet up was awesome so lets do it again! Who is interested??

I will bounce it off the DC Tiki Thirstday group and see if there are some takers.

Be sure to let them know ahead of time.
Last time I went there for a monthly exotica night and the only tiki drinks they had ingredients for were dark & stormy's

On 2016-10-19 15:04, exquisitecorpse wrote:
Be sure to let them know ahead of time.
Last time I went there for a monthly exotica night and the only tiki drinks they had ingredients for were dark & stormy's

Yikes that doesnt sound promising, I havent been there lately, anyone know whats going on at Yachtsman?

Yikes that doesnt sound promising, I havent been there lately, anyone know whats going on at Yachtsman?

It has been steadily going downhill.
I think the is only one bartender left who gets it and cares.

And "Tiki" is even more disappointing.

On 2016-10-25 20:55, exquisitecorpse wrote:

It has been steadily going downhill.
I think the is only one bartender left who gets it and cares.

And "Tiki" is even more disappointing.

Well, this basically sums up why I drink at home. Perhaps we should re-think another meetup, Id hate to see people travel only to be disappointed.

Pages: 1 35 replies